Samples

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I usually include a few samples with my orders but I am always second guessing whether I am including enough, or too many, or how you decide how many samples for how big of an order. I usually throw in 1 sample for every $10 of sale.

Does that sound right? what does everyone else normally do?

What size are your samples? Are you loosing money?

I don’t sell, but one sample per $10 seems reasonable if you’re using it as an opportunity to get rid of end slices. Looking at suppliers, Brambleberry has one sample per order with extra as you hit certain dollar amounts and WSP has it set based on dollar amounts bit I think they also have a sliding scale.

I’d say just don’t break your bank, pad your prices by a quarter or so if you need it. It is a cost you are adding to your business, so in my eyes you aren’t price gauging. If you’re super worried, poll your customers. They’re probably the best people to get your feedback from

Usually, I have a bit of soap left after I fill my mold so I make a guest soap size bar or two and use those. I also make wax tarts so I pour some into small heart shaped molds and make a sample of two of those. I try to use scents that arent fast movers to generate some interest interest in scents people may not be familiar with.

Thanks, it helps to get some perspective.

At my Fm I sold samples for $1 each, they all are around 1 oz give or take. Many are in those small heart shape sizes but a different shape. Some are end cuts that I cut in half.
Funny I sold more of those then bars but I am the first non-food item at this market.
I did add a full bar to my first online sale. I doubt I will do that again but thought it was a special day for me

At a market, I don't think I'd provide, or sell, samples. Of the sales at my first market, two of my four sales were from the sale bin. If people can get something cheap, even a sample, why pay full price for a full bar.

If it's an online sale, I have no problem putting in a sample or two as a thank you.

I sold little flower soap samples 0.7 oz each for 2.00 or 3 for 5 and they sold like crazy. I only quite making and selling the little soapies due to the fact I am simply tired of shrink wrapping and labeling them. Yes, I wrap and label all soaps big or small, including my smell samples which I just open up a section on the end. You would be appalled to see how dirty they get at market

At a market, I don't think I'd provide, or sell, samples. Of the sales at my first market, two of my four sales were from the sale bin. If people can get something cheap, even a sample, why pay full price for a full bar.

If it's an online sale, I have no problem putting in a sample or two as a thank you.

I actually ended up changing my sale bin up because too many sales came out of it...originally I was using full sized bars that just didn't work right. Now that I went through most of my backstock, newer sale bin offerings are smaller bars. Some customers were complaining but I explained that is isn't intended to be an "all the time" special so snag it when you can. My fault for underpricing the sale bars in the first place... Due to that experience, I won't be doing samples of any kind. I do have a sampler pack with slices, but I sell it the same price weight wise as the regular bars and tout it as a great way to try different scents.

Just that LOL-My normal label with the scent name as "Sampler pack" and a freestanding sign that says "Try several great scents at once with our sampler pack! Also great for traveling and guest rooms". . I now use the boxes with windows so I'll put the colorful ones in the middle to be the most visible, when I did shrink wrap those went on the top/bottom to be the most visible.

I do one sample and candy. It depends on what I have available too. No point in sending two samples of the same scent. If someone orders a lot, I give a free full size or two, but most of what I sell is wax.

Latest posts

Back