Sample(s) Reviews - 2 source [SOS & JS]

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PureFoxy

Reaction score
I haven't written much on here but I have been lurking for a while ... :shifty:
I have been building on my little dream of actually doing this, and low & behold! :grin: So, after much much note-taking, and list making, I have started ordering the samples first to figure out what I want to make.

These are the samples of F.O.'s I received and my honest [OOB & Skin test] reviews.

Source One:
JustScent.com

I ordered 20, most were $2.60/1 oz (buy 12, cuts the $2.60 to $2.25, save 35¢/Per)

1. Amber Romance VS Type- Spot on! Great Dupe
  2. Baby Magic Type *$- Not to be confused with baby powder, great dupe!
  3. Baby Powder - Think J&J Baby powder, Great dupe, more cost effective- Keeper
  4. Beckys Ultimate Vanilla- WOW!! Love this, Keeper (website created scent)
  5. Black Raspberry Vanilla B&BW Type- Meh. Close but not quite as a dupe.
  6. Coco Cabana Fragrance Oil Type *$- Nice scent, dupe? eh. Not cost effective.
  7. Downey Lavender and Vanilla Type- Holy wow! Great dupe!!! Keeper
  8. Gain Apple Mango Tango- VERY Apple-y. Cost effective. Keeper
  9. Gain Fragrance Oil Type- Not strong but good dupe. Keeper
  10. Lilac Fragrance Oil - Very very much like real lilac. Keeper.
  11. Love Spell Type- Easily identifiable, great dupe! Keeper
  12. Passionflower - Nice scent, keeper!
  13. Peach Deluxe - Horrible artificial.... TOSSING IN TRASH- NO USE
  14. Peaches and Cream- Cream heavy. Not happy with scent. :(
  15. Peony Petals- Not sweet but true to peony scent. Keeper!
  16. Snuggle Wild Orchid Vanilla Type *$- Pretty close as a dupe! Keeper
  17. Strawberry and Champagne Type - Easily recognizable, Keeper
  18. Vanilla Bean NOEL B&BW Type - Easily recognizable, Keeper
  19. Coconut Lime Verbena B&BW Type- Very close tad bit lime heavy but wears very well compared to mine, Keeping.
  20. Gardenia Fragrance Oil - close (my sister says not sweet enough) but lovely floral, keeping
SUBTOTAL: $50.10
SHIPPING:FedEx Home Delivery® (2 days) $10.10
Total: $60.20
*$= more than $2.60/ more like $3.95
(Just as a note, they were well packed, and came more quickly than I expected!)

Source Two:
SaveOnScents.com
I ordered the "sniffies" small perfume tester size- came to $3.50/per 5 samples with free s/h- I ordered 15. Total: $10.50
  • Cherry Almond - Think Jergens- I thought almond heavy, my sister disagrees. Very pleasant though & STRONG. Keeper
  • Cotton Blossom (BBW) |Type*| As a Dupe? Fail. Decent floral, just wrong as a dupe. Tossing.
  • Bubble Gum - Wrong. Even my 4 yr old said it wasn't bubblegum...
  • Hypnotic Poison (W) |Type*| EXCELLENT DUPE. Keeping!
  • Rose (Apothecary) - like real fresh roses + undertone of green. Keeping.
  • Pure Seduction (W) V-S |Type*| - Dupe? Fail. Plus it's weak. Tossing.
  • Black Raspberry Vanilla (BBW) |Type*| EXCELLENT DUPE. So good my sister took my tester! :-/
  • Doce Gabana (DG) (M) |Type*| Decent dupe. Keeping.
  • Happy (M) |Type*| - Smelled very nice, compared to the cologne is lacking orange, heavy on pine.... Jury is still out. Will get another source for comparison.
  • Jean Paul G (JPG) (M) |Type*| - again, heavy on pine, not a good dupe. (edit) after a second sniffing & washing of hands- this cologne still stayed on hands & smelled very much like the real deal... hmmm.. 2nd thoughts?
  • Very Sexy (M) V-S |Type*| Nice smell, brother wears, said it's good. Keep.
  • Very Sexy (W) V-S |Type*| Nice smell, no comparison? Friend said use it.
  • Juniper Breeze (BBW) |Type*| - Miserable fail as a dupe.
  • Midnight Pomegranate (BBW) |Type*| Excellent spot on dead ringer
  • Viva La Juicy (W) |Type*| - Decent dupe- will get another source as I have many pre-orders

This package also arrived quickly & well packed in peanuts & a group zip-lock.

I really did this more as a courtesy back in kind, for the many words of encouragement, perhaps not aimed at me, but that have inspired me, the knowledge freely shared, the wealth of information.... All of this, at my finger tips, that I know, I myself, appreciate very much. This is one small way, I feel I can repay someone, to share the knowledge & experience I myself have had.
Thankyou all :) Please let me know if there are any questions or comments, I guess I am truly a participator now!

Last edited:
We should have a scent review sticky. It would be awesome to read about all of the scents others have tried and liked. I am so new that I'm always curious with trying new scents but scared I will waste my money lol!!! Thanks for sharing

You're welcome! And welcomes to everyone else who replied!
I agree wholeheartedly. I really don't think someone's soap business that is across the United States, a few states away, or even a couple hours away is going to effect what "I" am doing here. The best we can ALL do is to exchange information, save each-other time/energy/waste & help each-other be more knowledgeable bout what WE do as a whole. <3

Great info, thanks for sharing. I was wondering about these two suppliers. Very kind of you to share your results!

Great info, thanks for sharing. I was wondering about these two suppliers. Very kind of you to share your results!

Thankyou and it's my pleasure, I have learned gobs on here, so if I can provide a lil bit of info, I myself am amazed :mrgreen:

Are you going to use these in CP or HP soapmaking? If you do please post those reviews for us :)

Don't tell anyone but I'm really a beginner... :Kitten Love: I just read A LOT.
I have however made M&P before- kind of a crafty-family thing I remember doing on more than one occasion. I'm trying to get over this "fear of lye" thing... Although, I'm really, REALLY kinda thinking I should just do it, the YouTube tutorials make it look not-as-nightmarish-as-I-fear... Only other drawback is the cure time.... :Kitten Love: But I will DEFINITELY do reviews when I do!

Lye is no big deal. You put on gloves and goggles in case of spillage so your skin is protected, but the process is measuring lye into a bowl and then pouring it into water and stirring. :)

Don't tell anyone but I'm really a beginner... :Kitten Love: I just read A LOT.

Being a beginner is fine :) I hope you will take the step and get over the fear of working with lye. I was a bit nervous with working with it myself, but it really is not that bad. It is just a matter of being careful and taking precautions when you are working with it.

I am a beginner also, and I read this forum a ton.. and love reading in general :) I think it is a wonderful hobby and wish there were more people in the world who read for enjoyment.

I am a beginner also, and I read this forum a ton.. and love reading in general :) I think it is a wonderful hobby and wish there were more people in the world who read for enjoyment.

Amen Badger!!! I LOVE reading and holding a book in my hand. I can't stand it when people ask me why I don't read on my iPad. While sometimes I do, there is just something about holding a book, smelling the pages, hearing them turn, the way the pages feel...ok I'm strange but I am a dreamer and I can get lost in a book but not an iPad! Lol

Yeah, I have an android and I read on it some, but I love the feel of holding a book in my hand and turning the pages. It is definitely very different then reading on an android.

So this week I am trying out several new fragrances. Here is what I have soaped with so far:

Bubblegum from Essential Depot- I would say that it is a sickly sweet kind of smell. It reminds me of someone chewing a piece of pink Bubble Yum or hoe it would taste if I were chewing on it. I used it in CP and it did not cause my trace to speed up or my soap to size. It worked faily well. I blended until it was about to form a light trace and then I separated my oils to add my neon pink color and my purple. Too bad I forgot to add my fragrance and had to dump it back into my bowl and mix it. Now I have a pinky purple...not what I wanted but my niece and nephew will love the smell.

Sweet Pea from WSP- this is very good smell. It is almost summery and sweet. It doesn't smell exactly like BBW sweet pea but its close. My mom will love it and I didn't forget the fragrance this time! It worked well in my CP and didn't cause seizing, ricing, or mu soap to trace quickly. No swirls this batch...just as orange pink color.

I will also be trying Amber Romance from WSP, patchouli and peppermint from NG, and lavender from ED.

Cherry thank you for your reviews and I am sorry that you forgot to add the FO and had to mix it together. It sounds like the pink and purple swirls would have been a nice combination with the scent. Looking forward to hearing more reviews on the other scents :)

Latest posts

Back