Same recipe, different soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackznanakin

Reaction score
Recipe:
30% OO
30% Palm
20%Coconut
10% Sweet Almond
10% Castor
5% SF

Batch one...Combined around 110*Fahrenheit, added colloidal oatmeal, Lavender FO, it didn't accelerate, poured nicely, it's been sitting 3 weeks, no glycerin rivers, just an all around beautiful batch of soap.
Since then I have made batches with TD, as soon as I add the TD, it sets up so fast. I have tried combining around 90* as well as 80*, doesn't seem to matter, I keep getting the glycerin rivers and it keeps setting up too fast to do anything except plop it into the molds. Have made certain to check the FO's used before I buy them and have not used anything that hasn't gotten stellar reviews. Am I overlooking something? I had a batch that was 30 OO, 30 Palm, 30 Coconut, 5 Sweet Almond and 5 Castor that did well and I was able to swirl, but I was trying to lower my Coconut Oil because I don't want the bar to be drying.

How much TD are you using? I use TD in many (most), batches and yes, it can move a bit faster but never so fast I can't swirl etc. However, when I used palm oil which moves faster for me with TD it was a problem sometimes.

For rivers, once I changed my lye concentration I rarely get them. The more liquid in a batch the hotter it seems to gel and is more apt to get rivers.

How much TD are you using? I use TD in many (most), batches and yes, it can move a bit faster but never so fast I can't swirl etc. However, when I used palm oil which moves faster for me with TD it was a problem sometimes.

For rivers, once I changed my lye concentration I rarely get them. The more liquid in a batch the hotter it seems to gel and is more apt to get rivers.
5 tsp in my 2.5 loaf

Latest posts

Back