Same problem with every batch, would appreciate help

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I actually cut the soap at about 2:00pm EST. My wife had me seal it up in large tub because of the raw soap odors bothered her. I am going to make another small batch on Wednesday and cut on Thursday. I will take pictures of both then since I will be letting them age in the same tub. I think it looks great but you can decide for yourselves on Thursday.

Just be sure the soaps get good air circulation during cure.

Yeah, get that soap uncovered in a room with the door closed, but with a fan on it, pronto! Without good air circulation, you are going to get DOS, and never get cure. The soap smell will fade within a couple of hours, I promise.

Later last night after I had posted my wife said to soap had to go to the garage. I put it in a closet in the garage where I uncovered it. The problem is that it can get cold there. It won't freeze but the temps can get down into the mid to upper 30's. Is that going to be a problem?

Later last night after I had posted my wife said to soap had to go to the garage. I put it in a closet in the garage where I uncovered it. The problem is that it can get cold there. It won't freeze but the temps can get down into the mid to upper 30's. Is that going to be a problem?

IMO, it's not going to ruin your soap, but it's not doing it any favors either. Soap curing is a chemical process; stuff is going on and being cold slows down that stuff. Ideally, soap is cured in a place with some kind of climate control (heat or air conditioning) b/c that pulls some of the moisture out of the air. Maybe leave it out there for a few days until the smell fades and bring it in? I'm kind of stumped on the smell thing; to my nose soap only has a very slight scent, and that's when I hold the bar up to my nose.

The cold can really limit how well/fast it cures. I'm also stumped about the smell, I have a sensitive nose and fresh soap doesn't smell to me unless I stick it right under my nose. Can you describe the scent your wife is smelling?

At least get the door to the closet opened. Air flow is necessary. I agree with the others about the smell, though. If you did not add scent, you should not be able to smell it over 3 feet away.

Where did you previously set your soap to cure?

To protect your wife, you may just have to leave it in the garage for a while; you can check it every few days to see if she can then tolerate it. If it means the soap cures more slowly, then so be it. But when she is able - it is best to have the soap cure in a well ventilated area.

[FONT=&quot]My wife suffers from Multiple Chemical Sensitivity (MCS). People with her condition typically have damaged immune systems and have adverse reactions to chemicals that outgas from fragrances, new products (especially from China), the chemical reaction of soap curing, and the list goes on and on. There does not have to be a strong odor, just enough chemical in the air to hit their immune system. Remember the boy in the plastic bubble, that’s kind of the way these people have to live. So something airborne that is not noticeable to the normal person can be debilitating to them.[/FONT]
In the past we made the soap in the spring or fall and let cure in the garage.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats understandable then, leave it in the garage as long as needed. I would bring it in once it gets to the point your wife isn't bothered by it.

Pictures

Here are pictures of bars from the two batches of soap made since I have gotten help from those who have posted. The lighter soap was from the first batch. I used coffee with the lye instead of water to darken the second batch so I could easily tell them apart. I am really happy with the way they turned out.

Soap.JPG

Lovely looking soap! How wonderful for you and your wife that you could get the help you needed from the people on the forum. Sometimes it's the tiniest thing that makes a difference. :)

Last edited:
Lovely soaps, I am sure they will turn out great:)
Your wife is really lucky to have such a handy and considerate husband that can help her out.
t1046.gif

Latest posts

Back