Salting Out Scraps

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was inspired by DeeAnna’s blog to collect soap scraps left from over 10 years ago and try the salting out process. I was very surprised by the results of a smooth batter that could be poured. If I had two batches going at the same time I could have swirled the colors together. It is unlike any re-batched soap I ever made long ago.
I think the difference may be that the soap curds were still moist all the way through, so they melted completely. Or perhaps the sodium lactate made a difference? Has anyone else tried DeeAnna’s method for salting out scraps or failed soap batches?
I unmolded the soap in the pic too soon, so a little stuck in the mold, but you can see the results, including fine detail. The guest soap from a silicone mold worked perfectly. I used chromium green for coloring and linden blossom fragrance.
A30A402C-AF21-4549-B3F3-5AA4698138D7.jpeg
68CEE02C-A3D5-40BF-9C21-DCB967CE5D8E.jpeg
BA5E98CB-7AC0-49D5-B87A-EB58EC2C63E3.jpeg

I've never heard of "salting out" but I am intrigued and impressed with how smooth the bars look!

I've never heard of "salting out" but I am intrigued and impressed with how smooth the bars look!
I follow this procedure on DeeAnna‘s site.
https://classicbells.com/soap/saltOutTut.aspIf I made a batch of soap with too much lye, this process would remove it. If I made a batch with too much oil, I could add sodium hydroxide to the water mix and only the amount necessary for saponification would be absorbed by the oils. Pretty cool!

Latest posts

Back