Salt

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cal43

Reaction score
Does anyone add a few tsp of salt I every recipe to make it harder? Is this a good practice? Should I just use salt for salt bars only?

Many use 1 tsp PPO salt dissolved in their water before mixing lye. It may help with getting it out of the mold sooner. Long term, not sure.
When you say long term, do you mean using salt on a continuous basis?

When you say long term, do you mean using salt on a continuous basis?
No on hardness for the long term of the soap. I don't use it so hopefully someone that does will pop on. I use sodium lactate pretty much to help me get my soap out of the mold quicker. Salt does the same. Over time I don't notice any difference in the hardness of my soap with or without at cure.

My soaps are too young to tell me if they're harder than the ones without, especially since they're all different recipes with different oils and amounts.

Having said that, I add salt in varying amounts to see what's what lol and yes, in all instances, they've been easier to unmold when salt is added. And this is HP in individual molds I'm talking about.

Is it just me or do my soaps with salt (not soleseife) actually look smoother too?

My soaps are too young to tell me if they're harder than the ones without, especially since they're all different recipes with different oils and amounts.

Having said that, I add salt in varying amounts to see what's what lol and yes, in all instances, they've been easier to unmold when salt is added. And this is HP in individual molds I'm talking about.

Is it just me or do my soaps with salt (not soleseife) actually look smoother too?

Its not u! My @Zany_in_CO zoaps came out rock hard and smooth as glass. I assume its the salt.

Last edited:
I use salt too, if I remember lol. It does seem to make the bars I make harder. But the charcoal/salt bar that I make for my son's oily skin, those bars are ridiculously hard. And someone commented on the smoothness, I haven't really paid any attention in my regular bars, but the salt bars are definitely smoother in my experience.

I use dendritic salt at 1tsp PPO for every batch. (no reason for using dendritic salt other than I picked up 5lbs for $1 and needed to do something with it) I like salt better than sodium lactate, which didn't seem to do anything at all. I soap with a high water concentration and I can unmold in 18-24 hours compared to the 36-48 hours I was waiting without it.

Nice to know, I’m learning so much from you all. We need a soapers retreat, .

Another question, does putting salt in soap gives it more suds?

Last edited:
Nice to know, I’m learning so much from you all. We need a diapers retreat, .

Another question, does putting salt in soap gives it more suds?
No salt actually inhibits bubbles. The amount you use to make it hard (about 1 tsp ppo) doesn't make a huge different IMO but I am not a bubble freak.
Salt bars (where you had 50% ppo salt to the batter) really don't bubble much which is why a lot of people use a high coconut oil recipe to counter that.

A little sugar or honey will make more bubbles (1 tsp ppo)

No salt actually inhibits bubbles. The amount you use to make it hard (about 1 tsp ppo) doesn't make a huge different IMO but I am not a bubble freak.
Salt bars (where you had 50% ppo salt to the batter) really don't bubble much which is why a lot of people use a high coconut oil recipe to counter that.

A little sugar or honey will make more bubbles (1 tsp ppo)
thank you so much for the info

Latest posts

Back