Salt

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

penelopejane

Reaction score
Hi,
I have finally found a company that sells salt with no anticaking agent!
Unfortunately they only sell it in 25kg bags.
So I want to be sure I get the right size salt grains.
It comes in lots of grain sizes but I was looking at 1mm or 0.45mm.

DH has measured our table salt (which I usually use) which is 0.5 - 1.2mm so not much help.

Does anyone know the grain size of salt that I would want for salt bars?

I use either canning salt or sea salt, just depends on what I have on hand. I have no idea what the grain size is, I've never seen it listed on any salt. As long as its as fine or finer than table salt, I'll use it.

There are two fine salts: 0.45 (so two grains will fit in a mm) this is finer than table salt.

and .33mm (so three grains will fit in a mm) this is like a powder.

Neither have an anticaking agent so I'm worried the super fine powder like one will set hard as a rock.

Store the salt with rice in a mesh bag. When I went on vacation to Mexico the restaurants would put rice in the salt shakers to absorb moisture. The rice grains were too big to fit through the shaker and the salt would flow normally. If you have a mesh bag of rice you can keep it in top of the salt to absorb moisture where you'll actually be scooping/measuring from

I use Flossy fine (no anticaking agent) and it's never set rock hard. The best way to store it is in a large plastic bucket with a lid, that's how we stored it in our business.

I use Flossy fine (no anticaking agent) and it's never set rock hard. The best way to store it is in a large plastic bucket with a lid, that's how we stored it in our business.

Hi Relle,
Do you know the grain size of Flossy Fine? Standard Flossy is 1.0mm mean grain and coarse Flossy is 3.0mm. My manufacturer doesn't make flossy fine.
I have found out that table salt is 0.45. I can go for the 0.3mm but it says that is "a fine powder".

Hi Relle,
Do you know the grain size of Flossy Fine? Standard Flossy is 1.0mm mean grain and coarse Flossy is 3.0mm. My manufacturer doesn't make flossy fine.
I have found out that table salt is 0.45. I can go for the 0.3mm but it says that is "a fine powder".

I asked dh as he use to order it and he said he has no idea (sorry). Grain size was not an issue for what we were using it for at the time and what I have left is in the bucket, as it was tipped in there straight out of the bag and the bag thrown away.

I asked dh as he use to order it and he said he has no idea (sorry). Grain size was not an issue for what we were using it for at the time and what I have left is in the bucket, as it was tipped in there straight out of the bag and the bag thrown away.

Thanks for checking! I think I will go with the fine rather than the superfine powder.

Do you mind sharing the supplier? Is it sea salt they are supplying?

Yes it is sea salt. Cheetham salt. I got Mermaid Premium food grade without additives.
They don't sell direct. You will have to ring and ask them for a supplier in your area. Not all suppliers are prepared to sell one off. Get a few names and try them all.

Yes it is sea salt. Cheetham salt. I got Mermaid Premium food grade without additives.
They don't sell direct. You will have to ring and ask them for a supplier in your area. Not all suppliers are prepared to sell one off. Get a few names and try them all.

Thanks I'll give them a call and see how I go :)

Thanks I'll give them a call and see how I go :)

I think they sell a 10kg bag with no additives but I got 25kg bag for $20.
Premium fine has average particle size of 0.45mm. It’s the right size for what you want. It’s like good quality table salt.
I use old oil buckets to store it in.

Back