Salt to Replace SL

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Maybe this is covered in another thread but I am wondering why when replacing SL with salt, it is recommended to add it at trace. Why couldn't I dissolve it with my sugar before adding my lye?

There are three ways I know of for using salt in bar soap. I think you may be confusing them.

One way is to dissolve a small amount of salt to the water to make a weak brine and then add NaOH. This adds hardness to a regular bath bar.
A second way is to make a saturated brine of water and salt and then add NaOH. This makes a solsiefe (brine) bar.
A third way is to add solid granular salt to the soap batter at trace. The grains of salt are visible in the soap. This makes a salt bar (sometimes called a spa bar).

I've never seen it recommended to add at trace. I add salt to my liquid to dissolve before adding lye. Never seen it listed any other way.
This is the recipe I wrote down (I thought from this forum). Salt solution to replace sodium lactate in CP soap: 1 t. table salt in 1 oz. (weight) of warm distilled water. Stir till fully dissolved. This amount in 1 lb. oils. Discount salt solution from water content of recipe. Add at trace. Do not do this with F.O.s that are known to accelerate.

@soapmaker - that would work too I suppose. I just add my salt to the water before my lye. I don't add anything much at trace. I'm an everything in the pot type. :) Except salt bars, I do get my soap to a light trace before adding in the salt.
I agree with you...I don't like adding things at trace, that's why I wondered if I could just dissolve my salt in the water before adding lye. Much simpler. Thanks!

Why not try mixing the salt with the small amount of water and chucking it in with the oils? I am leery of adding anything to the water I add the lye to. Sometimes it prevents the NaOH from dissolving.

Why not try mixing the salt with the small amount of water and chucking it in with the oils? I am leery of adding anything to the water I add the lye to. Sometimes it prevents the NaOH from dissolving.
I've never had that experience. The negative experience I did have is to try to dissolve my sugar in water after the lye (when I forgot to add it before) was added. The sugar will not dissolve regardless of how hard or whatever means you try.

I would dissolve the salt as Susie mentions above. Anytime I add additives to my lye I have problems. Especially sugar and salt. I dissolve my sorbitol in whatever additional liquid or puree I am going to use and dump it in the oils. Sugar, salt, and SL are not something I use anymore, unless making a salt bar

This is the recipe I wrote down (I thought from this forum). Salt solution to replace sodium lactate in CP soap: 1 t. table salt in 1 oz. (weight) of warm distilled water. Stir till fully dissolved. This amount in 1 lb. oils. Discount salt solution from water content of recipe. Add at trace. Do not do this with F.O.s that are known to accelerate.

Huh. I don't think there's anything wrong if a person wants to add salt this way, but it's not how most people do it, based on what I read here on SMF. It's certainly more complicated than it needs to be.

I'm all for not having to add stuff at trace unless it's absolutely the only way -- it means there is a much larger chance of my forgetting to add it!

I dissolve sugar in some of the water for the lye solution, add it back in to the pitcher and then add the lye. I've never had a problem doing it this way. I add sodium lactate to the lye solution once it's cooled, before adding the solution to the oils.

Edit: I just realized you are asking about replacing sodium lactate with salt. Sorry, not enough coffee in me yet.

I would just dissolve the salt the same as I do the sugar - in the lye solution before adding the lye.

Latest posts

Back