Salt soap Trials

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was checking dates on my soaps, and I realized I should update this because the only pic of them is with their bright, vivid young-soap colors, which may set unrealistic expectations regarding their appearance as they cure. I've been rotating them weekly, so here's their 5-week salt haze.
Still very pretty!

8 month update:
Pink & Yellow: both have a smooth foamy lather to start, but then get bigger bubbles. Yellow might have had slightly bigger bubbles than pink, but they were pretty close. After-feel was fairly decent.
Green: smooth, bubbliest lather. Made a mistake, so this had a lower SF than the others, and it had the highest percentage CO to start anyways. Still, it was more cleansing/stripping than I care for.
Blue: so bumpy it's actually exfoliating. Bigger bubbles to start with, and the after-feel wasn't bad, but I was surprised by exactly how scratchy it started. It seems to smooth out with use, and I could see it being nice occasionally, but I wouldn't use it super frequently.
Purple: foamy lather that is more bubbly initially than pink and yellow, but a little bump here and there. The few bumps were more grainy or massaging than scratchy or exfoliating. Decent after-feel.

That said, a year+ is the recommended cure time for a reason, and none of these soaps were quite as mild as I prefer yet.
This lather test was at a house with softened water, I'm going to try them with hard water at some point this weekend and report back if any noticeable differences emerge.

Attachments

• IMG_20210508_123607.jpg
    IMG_20210508_123607.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20210508_123706.jpg
    IMG_20210508_123706.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20210508_123751.jpg
    IMG_20210508_123751.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20210508_123825.jpg
    IMG_20210508_123825.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20210508_123913.jpg
    IMG_20210508_123913.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 5
8 month update:
Pink & Yellow: both have a smooth foamy lather to start, but then get bigger bubbles. Yellow might have had slightly bigger bubbles than pink, but they were pretty close. After-feel was fairly decent.
Green: smooth, bubbliest lather. Made a mistake, so this had a lower SF than the others, and it had the highest percentage CO to start anyways. Still, it was more cleansing/stripping than I care for.
Blue: so bumpy it's actually exfoliating. Bigger bubbles to start with, and the after-feel wasn't bad, but I was surprised by exactly how scratchy it started. It seems to smooth out with use, and I could see it being nice occasionally, but I wouldn't use it super frequently.
Purple: foamy lather that is more bubbly initially than pink and yellow, but a little bump here and there. The few bumps were more grainy or massaging than scratchy or exfoliating. Decent after-feel.

That said, a year+ is the recommended cure time for a reason, and none of these soaps were quite as mild as I prefer yet.
This lather test was at a house with softened water, I'm going to try them with hard water at some point this weekend and report back if any noticeable differences emerge.
Great tests, I’m enjoying these.

Ok, tried a different soap per batch in hard water. The after-feel for all was harsher than with soft water, because hard water generates more soap scum in addition to how much oil these soaps remove. With that in mind, most of the soaps lather-tested nearly the same (bear in mind I use a chelator), but yellow had a better after-feel than pink. All still harsh, but yellow and purple weren't as harsh.
Edited to add, this time I slathered body butter on my hands immediately after I finished, instead of waiting a bit like I could with the soft water lather test.

Last edited:
Back