Salt soap packaging

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Niecee

Reaction score
I've been trying to research salt soap making and packaging to no avail. I want to stay away from as much plastic packaging as possible, has anyone ever wrapped salt soap with deli paper? Does salt soap sweat if its not shrink wrapped?

I want to work out all the kinkd before I attempt making it.

If you live in a humid environment, your salt soap may sweat unless wrapped. I live in a fairly dry environment, so it is not an issue for me.

I have used grease-proof (waxed) deli papers for packaging. It works well for soaps and for lotion bars, which can otherwise leave some good grease stains on packaging. Although I have not used it with salt soaps specifically, I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work just as well for them as for non-salt bars. :)

I understand that Trinidad is quite humid, so your salt soaps are likely to draw moisture from the air and that causes beading on the soap like this:

As the soap gets older it does not bead up as quickly, but at 4 weeks, that's what my salt soap does when exposed to the humidity in Hawaii. It would do the same here in the summertime where I live in Illinois if I did not have effective dehumidification in my home.

So I shrink wrap my salt soaps before they can be exposed to humidity.

I would suggest making a very small batch and trying your idea on a couple of bars of soap and seeing how they do over time before committing to large batches to find out if it is a viable option.

But don't deli sheets contain plastic? Apparently some are plastic, so I am not sure if the paper ones contain a plastic or other type of coating. Either way, my suggestion to try a very small batch and test your wrapping still stands.

Latest posts

Back