Salt Soap Info Search

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm a huge salt bar maker and user. It's my favorite soap to use. I use it on face and body at least 3 time week or more. I've shared my recipe many many times here 80% CO, 15% Avocado oil, 5% Castor and 18% SF with 45-50% Salt. Like cmzaha I've been making them for 9-10 years now. I let mine cure 12 months or more. I make several batches a year. I have some customers that it's the only thing they will use. I use fragrance oils in my salt soap as I found EO's not to stick well at all in salt soap. Especially as long as I like to let them sit.

I personally have found no EO that last in Salt bars, and for that matter very few fo's. The Mariner type fo's hold well. At least not in my 100% salt bars. At one time someone posted their ocean fragrance that was an EO mix and I remember it held pretty well, but I have since misplaced the formula.

I personally have found no EO that last in Salt bars, and for that matter very few fo's. The Mariner type fo's hold well. At least not in my 100% salt bars. At one time someone posted their ocean fragrance that was an EO mix and I remember it held pretty well, but I have since misplaced the formula.
One of the essential oil mixes I really like in salt bars is: 20% Rosemary Essential Oil, 20% Peppermint Essential Oil, 20% Lemongrass Essential Oil, 20% Eucalyptus Essential Oil and 20% Lavender Essential Oil. I have a couple of salt bars from 2 years ago and they still retain this scent blend. BTW it smells awesome!

You know, I make salt bars all the time and they cure very nicely in five weeks.

One of the essential oil mixes I really like in salt bars is: 20% Rosemary Essential Oil, 20% Peppermint Essential Oil, 20% Lemongrass Essential Oil, 20% Eucalyptus Essential Oil and 20% Lavender Essential Oil. I have a couple of salt bars from 2 years ago and they still retain this scent blend. BTW it smells awesome!
I think this very similar to the blend I was mentioning I think.

Last edited:
Nope, I so disagree. I don't use them for 9 months minimum. Hate them any time before. They are too drying and not mature enough. I've tried them at all different points over 9 years.
I have to agree with @shunt2011 on the long cure for salt bars. For me, they dramatically improve with more time.

@TashaBird I like to use the highest amount of skin-safe EO for bars that need a long cure, and I use EOCalc.com to figure that out. I also anchor my EOs with clay. HTH.

Nope, I so disagree. I don't use them for 9 months minimum. Hate them any time before. They are too drying and not mature enough. I've tried them at all different points over 9 years.
I also disagree. Along with the drying and not mature enough they do not lather anywhere close to what they will in a year. In 5 years they are absolutely fantastic. I always hold some back for stashing away.
Would you use the same amount of EO as in a regular soap?
No, I usually add in an extra ounce of fragrance to salt bars. I normally fragrance my soaps at 6.8-7% of my oil weight. For salt bars I will go up to 8%.

There are people who don't have a facebook account? LOL

We are a rare breed, but, yes, we do exist. 😁

I make mine with 100% coconut oil, 100% coconut milk as my liquid, 25% to 30% fine sea salt ppo (sometimes I use 25% sea salt, sometimes I use 30%, but never more than 30%).....and I superfat them at 13%.

For what it's worth (going against the grain here), the nature of my skin is such that I can use mine with as little as 4 weeks of cure. Although they do definitely get better and better with a longer cure in terms of longevity and lather and mildness, for me they lather nicely enough and don't dry me out in as little as 4 weeks.

IrishLass :)

What do you mean when you say you 'anchor' your EO's in clay?
I add kaolin clay to my measured fragrance oil & measured essential oil. It’s about a teaspoon or a little more. I don’t measure the clay. I let the fragrance/Essential oils with the clay “marinate” at least an hour, sometimes more, then plop the whole thing into the batter. I do think it helps keep the scent. I have some old soaps (Castile for example) that still retain their scents and I made them back in 2016.

I add kaolin clay to my measured fragrance oil & measured essential oil. It’s about a teaspoon or a little more. I don’t measure the clay. I let the fragrance/Essential oils with the clay “marinate” at least an hour, sometimes more, then plop the whole thing into the batter. I do think it helps keep the scent. I have some old soaps (Castile for example) that still retain their scents and I made them back in 2016.
That’s so helpful! I’m about to make my first batch of salt soap. I’m going to make a big batch, and I’d LOVE for it to keep it’s scent!

I and others have never found clay to anchor fragrance. If a fragrance is known to fade it will fade no matter what you do. Patchouli is used as an anchor for Citrus EO's and what I find is the Patch comes out when the Citrus fades. It is much better to use a fragrance that you know will not fade. One group of fragrances that I know hold up well in salt bars is the Salty Air type fragrances.

I and others have never found clay to anchor fragrance. If a fragrance is known to fade it will fade no matter what you do. Patchouli is used as an anchor for Citrus EO's and what I find is the Patch comes out when the Citrus fades. It is much better to use a fragrance that you know will not fade. One group of fragrances that I know hold up well in salt bars is the Salty Air type fragrances.
My 4 year old Castile soap was anchored with clay. I used a fragrance oil called Alpine Cheer from JustScent. According to the website: Top Notes of Cranberry, Cinnamon, Clove. Middle Notes of Mountain Balsam, Snow White, Cedar Leaf; Bottom Notes of Patchouli, Musk and Vanilla Sugar. It's one of my favorite scents and my 4 year old soap smells great.

thanks so much!

My 4 year old Castile soap was anchored with clay. I used a fragrance oil called Alpine Cheer from JustScent. According to the website: Top Notes of Cranberry, Cinnamon, Clove. Middle Notes of Mountain Balsam, Snow White, Cedar Leaf; Bottom Notes of Patchouli, Musk and Vanilla Sugar. It's one of my favorite scents and my 4 year old soap smells great.
It does not mean that the clay helped it stick. I have a soap that is 6 years old fragranced with Wisteria and it still smells nice. A bit faded but not bad. Some scents just stick well.

Back