Salt Soap Info Search

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I checked them in EO calculator. I wish they had a bigger data base of EO though. They’re missing some oils that I think are fairly common.
I totally agree! I often have oils that I want to use but there is no info.

There is another EO calculator at Majestic Mountain Sage that you can cross-check. Also, if you are buying the EOs through a soap supplier, they should be able to give you the safe usage rate. The other option is to get Robert Tisserand's EO Safety book. It's pricey, but it has TONS of info on so many oils.

Do you have to use fine salt? Could you use coarse or would it be too scratchy?

No never use anything but fine salt. It will cut your skin. Also, not recommended to use Pink Himalayan Salt as it's super scratchy. I use pickling salt or European Sea salt. I have also used powdered salt. I cure them for 12 months. I keep batches in rotation curing so I don't run out. I too scent them more than regular soap. 7-8%

I too scent them more than regular soap. 7-8%

Now you all have me thinking. I'm thinking about bumping up my scent in my salt bars. Right now I can smell them at ~6.7% (I base my fragrance load on a combination of lye and oil weights but not total batch weight)...but they are definitely milder than I like my soap to smell. I'm worried too about how the scent will stand the test of time in a salt bar versus a normal bar.

I was about to tell you to just got to the store and get some regular fine sea salt. Himalayan pink sea salt will scratch you up, if it doesn't leave micro cuts on your skin. Even coffee grinds are gentler to the skin that that salt. Also, some one could correct me on this but avoid iodized salt too. I think it has something to do with the outcome.

Removed the spirulina for colorant. I’m using Redmonds fine sea salt, and it’s a little pink. Going to see how my first batch comes out keeping it really simple. Here’s revised recipe again. Thinking I might use a combo of lavender and peppermint oil. ?

NO!! don't use redmans, there salt contains small particles of sand. Its incredibly scratchy, the worst salt I've ever used in soap. It was so bad, I actually threw the whole batch out.

In fact, don't use any pink salt, its clay and minerals that make it pink, its all scratchy.

I just use cheap canning salt or regular white sea salt.

NO!! don't use redmans, there salt contains small particles of sand. Its incredibly scratchy, the worst salt I've ever used in soap. It was so bad, I actually threw the whole batch out.

In fact, don't use any pink salt, its clay and minerals that make it pink, its all scratchy.

I just use cheap canning salt or regular white sea salt.
Oh NO! I just bought a 8lb bucket of REdmonds. It’s our favorite salt for food use. SHOOT!

I was about to tell you to just got to the store and get some regular fine sea salt. Himalayan pink sea salt will scratch you up, if it doesn't leave micro cuts on your skin. Even coffee grinds are gentler to the skin that that salt. Also, some one could correct me on this but avoid iodized salt too. I think it has something to do with the outcome.

I have a few 1lb cartons of regular salt, but it’s iodized. Can someone confirm if this is a problem, or if it’s ok?

If you haven't opened the redmans, see if you can return it. I ended up using what I bought for food but it was only 1 lb.

If you want to see why redmans is bad, dissolve a teaspoon in a few ounces of water and check out the sediment.

I have used iodized in a pinch but it was a small batch so it wasn't in storage for a long time. I have no idea if it would affect the soap long term.

I was wrong about iodized salt. It's ok. I might have been thinking about epsom and dead sea salts- those are the no-no's. A quick search solved that and Cmzaha used it.

I was wrong about iodized salt. It's ok. I might have been thinking about epsom and dead sea salts- those are the no-no's. A quick search solved that and Cmzaha used it.

Yep- iodized is perfectly fine, but stay away from using Dead Sea salt and epsom salts. The latter 2 have a different mineral composition than regular sea salt or table salt. Regular sea salt and table salt are comprised mostly of sodium, but the other two are high in magnesium and other salts. Many who have used either of the latter two in their salt bars lived to regret it. Their bars turned out weepy and soft.

I use Bob's Red Mill fine sea salt in mine.

IrishLass:)

It's hard to say what's so nice about salt bars, but I like them too. Even sometimes as a face-wash. I like their hardness and there's also something to be said for salty water.
I've made two kinds, and go back and forth about which one I like more. One is 100% CO, 35% salt, 13% SF. The other is 85% CO, 10% Avocado oil, 5% Castor oil, 50% salt, also 13% SF. They both lather quite well, and neither is drying for me, but they do have different feels.
May I inquire as to what the “feel” difference is between the two recipes?

Latest posts

Back