Salt Soap Info Search

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It does not mean that the clay helped it stick. I have a soap that is 6 years old fragranced with Wisteria and it still smells nice. A bit faded but not bad. Some scents just stick well.
No, it doesn't, but in my over 7 years of soap making, I have noticed that clay helps. Maybe it doesn't help you. But I feel it helps me. That's all I am saying.

Peppermint, Spearmint, Lemongrass, Clove, Bergamot, to name a few. I always anchor with a bit of kaolin clay and try to layer my fragrances.
Interesting! So you mean the clay helps to keep the EOs in the soap? I'm going to try that. 1tsp per lb?

It's hard to say what's so nice about salt bars, but I like them too. Even sometimes as a face-wash. I like their hardness and there's also something to be said for salty water.
I've made two kinds, and go back and forth about which one I like more. One is 100% CO, 35% salt, 13% SF. The other is 85% CO, 10% Avocado oil, 5% Castor oil, 50% salt, also 13% SF. They both lather quite well, and neither is drying for me, but they do have different feels.

When you say "35%" salt, does that mean 35% of the amount of water? If so, how much water do you use for brine soap? Do you calculate water amount by lye concentration or water to oil ratio?

Interesting! So you mean the clay helps to keep the EOs in the soap? I'm going to try that. 1tsp per lb?
Yes, I measure out my fragrance, whether fragrance oil or essential oil. I then add between 1-2 teaspoons of kaolin clay directly to the fragrance and let this sit together at least an hour.

I anchor my EOs in kaolin also. I add 1t ppo to my EO’s, blend and let sit for an hour or so and find the scent sticks quite a bit longer.
Is everyone using NaOH for this soap, a combo or just KOH?

KOH for CP? Wow I've never heard of doing that. Is that to combat the hardness? I once made brine soap that just completely shattered when I tried to cut them so I had to lower the salt amount. I don't even know how I'm seeing recipes saying 100% salt. How is that even possible? Does that mean 100% of water amount by the way? Certainly not oils right? And I also remember another time I made CP soap accidentally using KOH and it stayed mushy and never hardened up. It was a real face-palm moment when I realized why. So does using part KOH allow prevent brine soap from being too hard and shattering??

I'm definitely going to try that clay anchoring for the EOs. I've never heard of that until this trhead. I'm tryin to put a brine soap recipe together.

When I measure my salt for salt bars, it is by percentage of oil weight. I like 50%, but people generally do anywhere from 25% to 100% of oil weight.

The salt is added after mixing the lye and oils together. If you are using lower salt amounts, bring the batter to a medium or medium thick trace to keep your salt suspended in the batter, rather than sinking to the bottom. If you are using higher amounts of salt like @cmzaha, your batter can be thinner and still hold the salt in suspension.

You can also make soleseife or brine bars by dissolving salt in the water used to dissolve the lye. That would be a much lower percentage of salt, since water can only absorb so much salt + lye before it will precipitate out. If you want to make that kind of salt bar, I'd recommend searching this forum for more info and suggested percentages of salt to water,

Some people do use a little bit of KOH with their NaOH to make a slightly softer salt bar, because salt bars harden up fast and are often quite crumbly if you try to cut them from a loaf, or even trim the edges. Personally, I make salt bars in cavity molds - no cutting or trimming required, and no need to make a dual-lye soap.

When you say "35%" salt, does that mean 35% of the amount of water? If so, how much water do you use for brine soap? Do you calculate water amount by lye concentration or water to oil ratio?
No no no. This is salt bar, not brine soap. So the percentage means that of the oil weight. Sorry, I should've been more clear.

For brine soap, I calculate it as usual for lye concentration, but I usually work with 30% lye concentration in that case. I measure out the water that's needed to dissolve the lye (that's about equal to the amount of lye), and make a saturated salt solution with the rest of the water. I forget, but I think it's about 26% salt solution -- that is, 26% salt in that rest of the water.
E.g.: let's assume I need 50g lye for my soap. To have a 30% lye solution, I need ca. 115g of water. I dissolve the lye in 50g of water, which means I'll have 65g of water left. Now, I want to have a 26% salt solution with that 65g of water, so I have to add 23g salt to it (23g salt in 65+23=88g solution -- 23/88=ca. 26).
But actually you don't have to do all the math, just dissolve in your leftover water as much salt as it can dissolve, and strain out the rest. (If you don't strain it out that's fine too; it will have some extra salt in it.)

No no no. This is salt bar, not brine soap. So the percentage means that of the oil weight. Sorry, I should've been more clear.

For brine soap, I calculate it as usual for lye concentration, but I usually work with 30% lye concentration in that case. I measure out the water that's needed to dissolve the lye (that's about equal to the amount of lye), and make a saturated salt solution with the rest of the water. I forget, but I think it's about 26% salt solution -- that is, 26% salt in that rest of the water.
E.g.: let's assume I need 50g lye for my soap. To have a 30% lye solution, I need ca. 115g of water. I dissolve the lye in 50g of water, which means I'll have 65g of water left. Now, I want to have a 26% salt solution with that 65g of water, so I have to add 23g salt to it (23g salt in 65+23=88g solution -- 23/88=ca. 26).
But actually you don't have to do all the math, just dissolve in your leftover water as much salt as it can dissolve, and strain out the rest. (If you don't strain it out that's fine too; it will have some extra salt in it.)

Thank you so much for this. I'm all about following the math so I really appreciate the breakdown. I've only made brine soap twice before. The first one was a total disaster and shattered everywhere. (I think I probably made the mistake of following a salt bar recipe but made brine soap!). The 2nd one I used less salt and canned coconut milk which I really liked, but my expensive EO scent was almost non-existent, plus since I just followed some brine recipe I never knew why and how to proportion the salt amount when changing the batch size. I always like to be able to create my own recipes rather than just following someone else's. So this info about the salt and water amount is super helpful. I guess I generally like knowing what I'm doing, you know? haha! I'm going to try that clay anchoring too. I'm now all set to try another brine soap!

No KoH, you use regular old NaOH just like any other CP.
Thanks. I just made a small tester batch. Can’t wait to try them out —next year 🤨

KOH for CP? Wow I've never heard of doing that. Is that to combat the hardness? I once made brine soap that just completely shattered when I tried to cut them so I had to lower the salt amount. I don't even know how I'm seeing recipes saying 100% salt. How is that even possible? Does that mean 100% of water amount by the way? Certainly not oils right? And I also remember another time I made CP soap accidentally using KOH and it stayed mushy and never hardened up. It was a real face-palm moment when I realized why. So does using part KOH allow prevent brine soap from being too hard and shattering??

I'm definitely going to try that clay anchoring for the EOs. I've never heard of that until this trhead. I'm tryin to put a brine soap recipe together.
I’ve been scrounging information about re-working my formulas. For regular CP soap I’ve leaned that 95%NaOH + 5%KOH helps with lather when you use a lot of hard oils. That’s where my question was coming from. And the answer to 95/5 in salt bars was “No”.
I learned of “anchoring” EO’s when I first started soaping. It seemed to help keep those fading EO’s from just fizzling out. I think bentonite clay was the most helpful but it’s a thirsty clay and can firm up the batter too fast.

Thanks for all the responses and helpful links. I think I’ve read all the things, and this is what I’ve got so far. What do you think?

Attachments

• C192ACAA-5DCB-47E0-8113-47AB54CFA361.jpeg
    C192ACAA-5DCB-47E0-8113-47AB54CFA361.jpeg
    128.2 KB · Views: 31
I am guessing you mean to use 70 g salt and not 70 ml. The same for your clay. Actually I would leave out the clay in a salt bar, you are going to deter the lather even more. Sometimes in Soapers Friend when adding in additives you have to check the measurements do not change from oz to gr etc. I would also lower the lye concentration to 30%, since salt will thicken your batter. Otherwise, your recipe looks fine.

I am guessing you mean to use 70 g salt and not 70 ml. The same for your clay. Actually I would leave out the clay in a salt bar, you are going to deter the lather even more. Sometimes in Soapers Friend when adding in additives you have to check the measurements do not change from oz to gr etc. I would also lower the lye concentration to 30%, since salt will thicken your batter. Otherwise, your recipe looks fine.
It did change my measurements, it does that sometimes. I fixed it. And, I removed the clay.
@TashaBird I personally would use a bit more liquid as cmzaha suggested. Salt soap can move pretty quickly. I do 29% but 30% would be fine too.
I read that many people use %100 CO to get any lather. I figured that would be hard to work with. Is %70 CO going to still bubble?

Below is edited recipe. I can increase the avocado oil.

Attachments

• 9D91AB03-2D88-47D6-9214-F7EB5A3011D8.jpeg
    9D91AB03-2D88-47D6-9214-F7EB5A3011D8.jpeg
    135.2 KB · Views: 22
It did change my measurements, it does that sometimes. I fixed it. And, I removed the clay.

I read that many people use %100 CO to get any lather. I figured that would be hard to work with. Is %70 CO going to still bubble?

Below is edited recipe. I can increase the avocado oil.

I've never used less than 80% CO. I would be concerned that is wouldn't lather well. I get a nice creamy lather. I use coconut milk in my soaps using the split method. I SF at 18% for my Salt Soap.

Removed the spirulina for colorant. I’m using Redmonds fine sea salt, and it’s a little pink. Going to see how my first batch comes out keeping it really simple. Here’s revised recipe again. Thinking I might use a combo of lavender and peppermint oil. ?

Attachments

• 01BBC588-5655-4B52-9B43-EE32C2739B26.png
    01BBC588-5655-4B52-9B43-EE32C2739B26.png
    526.6 KB · Views: 17
Depends on the usage rate of the EO you're using.

Yes, this!! ^^^

There is no such thing as a standard safe usage rate for all EOs or even FOs.

I believe this dangerous misconception comes from the fact that all soap calculators set a default scent rate of 3%. I wish they would just leave that box blank so people wouldn't assume that 3%, or any other percentage, is automatically going to be safe for every EO or FO across the board.

Use 3% of lavender, sure - but you can safely go even higher for better scent retention.

Use 3% of anise, cinnamon, or clove, or other "hot" EOs, and you will probably get skin burns, or at the very least, significant skin irritation.

Always check the safe usage rate given by the manufacturer, or with an online EO calculator (NOT the default number in soap calculators).

Yes, this!! ^^^

There is no such thing as a standard safe usage rate for all EOs or even FOs.

I believe this dangerous misconception comes from the fact that all soap calculators set a default scent rate of 3%. I wish they would just leave that box blank so people wouldn't assume that 3%, or any other percentage, is automatically going to be safe for every EO or FO across the board.

Use 3% of lavender, sure - but you can safely go even higher for better scent retention.

Use 3% of anise, cinnamon, or clove, or other "hot" EOs, and you will probably get skin burns, or at the very least, significant skin irritation.

Always check the safe usage rate given by the manufacturer, or with an online EO calculator (NOT the default number in soap calculators).
I checked them in EO calculator. I wish they had a bigger data base of EO though. They’re missing some oils that I think are fairly common.

Back