SALT SOAP--HELP?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jadiebugs1

Reaction score
Hello.....

I made a batch of salt soap awhile back and it turned out pretty good. I used 86% CO, 11% Shea, and 3% Castor. I love what it does for my face, practically eliminated acne....but a little drying....had to start using a (commercial!!!) moisturizer.
Anywho.....I now have NO shea butter and would like to try making some anyway. What other butter/oil would be good for replacing the shea?
I have mango, PKO, and cocoa butter and some oils (no sweet almond).
Anyone have a suggestion on a recipe I could use to still make a good salt soap?
(I'm down to like 1/2 bar!)
Thanks!

I would use Mango butter. It has the same SAP as shea, the same amount of conditioning as shea, but makes for a harder soap with a creamier lather (according to SoapCalc). HTH! :)

IrishLass

P.S. to make your salt soap more conditioning, you could increase your superfat level. I make my salt bars anywhere from about a 10%- 15% S/F.

Thank you! I think I will make some today with CO, mango, and castor. I did use a 10%SF last time, maybe I'll increase that also to 15 or 20.....can't hurt (or can it?? :shock: ).
My appologizies also, I should have tried the the soap calc before asking, though when making salt soap I'm not sure a lot of information derived from there is "accurate?" (maybe that's not the word I'm looking for). BUT I'm going to go play with it some more in hopes it will provide more understanding as to WHY I'm going with Mango!

Thanks!

edited to change cocoa to CO! duh.....

No appology needed here :) , especially since a lot of the 'qualities' numbers on SoapCalc are not necessarily 'spot on', if you know what I mean. I use SoapCalc mainly to get accurate calculations for everything I'm using in my batch, and then use their 'qualities' numbers only as a guideline of sorts.

I hope your soap turns out great! I've used Mango in one soap batch so far and it soaped beautifully. I haven't actually washed with it yet as it's still curing, but it was some pretty nice stuff to work with.

IrishLass

let me ask a slightly off topic salt bar question....i made one a while ago out of curiosity and i thought it was going to be kind of scrubby from the salt. it wasn't so much....it seemed like the salt dissolved before the soap so no scrubbing.

do you use a very coarse or very fine salt? i used a med grain sea salt....

The texture of the salt soap I made was......
Hard like a rock, but smooth as glass and the lather from it was very creamy, not very bubbly at all. I love it! I used fine grain sea salt.

Did you also use like 50/50 oils and salt?

i made one of paul's recipes. it was mostly coconut, hard, hard bar. very smooth. i think i used not quite 50/50. i was wondering if i didn't have enough salt.
i was using it and i was thinking, yeah, its ok, but i didn't see what all the hub bub was about so maybe i didn't do it quite right! :wink:

Back