Salt Soap fix.....

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lion Of Judah

Reaction score
hi all , this is for the seasoned veterans among us :
had a mishap with a batch in that i went to cut the loaf and the bars broke in half. i researched and found out that salt bars pretty much can not be rebatched. i grated them down and plan to incorporate it into a new batch. i want to know if have to make it high coconut oil and re-add salt to it ... ?

I would probably make a high coconut batch and just add your shredded batch to that. It should work just fine. Also, unless you are using individual molds they need to be cut while still very warm or they will crumble. I use a slab mold with dividers and that works too. Good luck, let us know how they turn out.

thank you both for your reply. do you think is a good idea to add a little more salt to it and SF as well ?

i did a 70% CO and 30% combined oils and butter , i added 16.1 ounces of salt (kosher) which was the amount of CO in my recipe and SF at 17% [ the overall weight of the batch was 23.1 ounces ]

I would probably add salt at 50% of the CO weight in the new batch. Are you going to make a loaf again or use a cavity mold? If you use a loaf mold, check it 1 hour after pour and see if its hard enough to unmold and cut, if not, check every 15 minutes until it is.

i have a few cavity molds i may try this time around .... / you think i should adjust the SF seeing that it is a lower amount of salt being used this time or just keep it the same as the last time because of the CO?

No experience here with rebatching salt bars but I think I would keep the high SF only because it's so much CO. What do you think?

You can also just grate up some extra soap bars or left over shavings and rebatch the salt bars. You salt is low enough you can get away with adding in soap with lower coconut oil. Salt bars will actually rebatch. The 9 cavity square silicone molds or the round cavity silicone molds work great with salt bars. It takes a few batches to get the feel of when to cut them if poured in loaf molds.

I just rebatched some of my salt bars last week--just did it with trimmings from a previous non-salt batch and it worked just fine. It actually made gorgeous soap together.
I have a couple of cavity moulds where the proportions are slightly off: too long, narrow, and shallow. It seems as though those bars always break. So I rebatched them, and while the bars aren't super pretty, I love the resulting soap.

r1sg.jpg
[/URL]Uploaded with ImageShack.com[/IMG]IMG][/URL]Uploaded with ImageShack.com[/IMG]
bi9b.jpg
[/URL]Uploaded with ImageShack.com[/IMG]
i finally got the salt bar re-batch , they look great aside from a few air bubbles . i can't wait to try this again and get it right from the start. i like the loaf bar type soaps but i will take the individual style soap bars as well.
thank you all who reply and helped me through the re-batching phase :)

Back