salt soap cure

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slipknott76

Reaction score
Can someone direct me to some literature that actually recommends the long cure for salt bars. I'd like to actual do some research on the subject, so I can talk with customers about it.

I think the recommendation about the long cure comes from actual experience - people testing their bars at regular intervals to find the sweet spot. Everybody's recipes, skin and water are different. Some people dont like their salt bars until 8-12 months or more even. I use mine as early as 3 months. But I dont use my castilles until 10 months or longer - a year really is perfect. What have you found in your own tests with your salt bars?

Last edited:
Seawolfe is right. I know I've personally tested a lot of them and my favorites are about 9 months or older. They last longer the lather is creamier and lovely.

I don't have the science behind it but I primarily use salt bars as do a few of my family members and we all agree the older the better. Minimum of 6 months.

Mine cure a min of 3 months before I take them to market. I personally like mine 12-24 months. Right now I am using one that is 18 months old and it is much better now. The salt percentage probably makes a difference but I make most of my salt bars with 90-110% salt. Also I use 90% coconut oil and 10% castor so they are quite soluble and will last longer if cured at least 6 months. I know many say salt bars are so hard they last forever, not necessarily true. Coconut not oil is highly soluble which is why they lather in salt water

I cure mine a min of six months. It's a little tougher for me to tell the difference between 6 weeks and 6 months because I don't have any skin issues. To me, 6 months isn't much better or worse than 6 weeks because there isn't anything to help on my skin. I have noticed that 6 weeks seemed to dry me out a little. Could you guys and gals post some pics of your salt bars, please?

I think that a search in the photo gallery would be a good place to get those pictures.

Skin issues aside, do you notice no difference in bubbles, feel and longevity? You said the 6 week ones dry you slightly - do the 6 months do the same?

I didn't notice any drying effects with the six month bar and there is definitely more bubbles and it's a harder bar that lasts longer but that would be the results of any soap that's cure that long. So what im getting here is that there really isn't a difference in what a long cure does for your skin. The difference is in the bar it's self. I really just wanted to be able to explain why my salt soap was a better choice over another soap makers 6 week bar.

I have a salt bar my sister made about 18 months ago. I just recently started to like it. Before, it left my skin way too dry. Now, I love it.

Last edited:
I agree, they are so much better on the skin after a good long cure. I too find them a bit too drying and I'm not overly sensitive to CO like some are. Once cured they are one of my most used favorites.

I've found the same thing to be true with mine. Initially, they feel drying immediately after use and the high SF feels like cheap free-oils coating my skin. It's not nice. Their lather isn't great either. The bubbles are abundant but thin and the soap "goo" you get from rubbing on a bar before lathering has almost a separated kind of consistency (almost pebbly - sorry if that doesn't make sense - I'm not sure how to describe it).

Starting around 3 months, the "goo" starts to feel much silkier, and the lather changes into a foamy/lotion feel. When I get done using it, my skin feels very clean and refreshed. It's really pleasant to use in the summer months.

Looking for pictures...here are some - middle picture used goat milk as the liquid, last picture shows salt and 'regular' in the same basket.

salt rectangular 2.jpg

altadenacapricorn1.jpg

BasketJenniferDec15.jpg

I was unable to detect NO difference when using them in my shower side-by-side, between salt bars that were cured 4 weeks, 1+ year, and 2+ years. Seriously .... NO difference. My standard recipe for salt bars is 90% CO, 10% castor, 20% SF, with 50% salt. Long cures definitely makes a huge difference with Castile, but personally feel it's somewhat of an 'urban legend' when it comes to salt bars. (again, based on my own personal experience). Regardless, I LOVE salt bars!!!

I'd love it if I could give you an answer but I can't. My salt bars are scratchy as sin. I can only say Pink Himalayan salt should only be used in soaps made for those who like to bath with sandpaper. Aside from that, I can see that they benefit from a longer cure. I have a few bars left still curing and I can add they I like my salt bars better than an 100% CO soap with a high superfat.

My salt bars sweat for months. Seriously. I do not like them, but my son does. I ship them to him as soon as they stop sweating here, then he unpacks them and lets them sweat there (New Orleans has higher humidity.). It takes at least 6 months for them to stop sweating. I would let mine cure that long just for the no more sweating thing.

Are you using fine grain salt? anything bigger can be scratchy and grinding it fine yourself doesn't help, just makes its sharper.

The bottle said they are fine and they are about the same granule size as table salt. I know better than to try to grind salt at home. :mrgreen:

The soap in your salt bars must be really soft if they are that scratchy. Really the salt that is left in there should dissolve before the soap does. The only time I had a scratchy salt bar was when I used a courser soap. All of my salt bars are smooth as silk.

Back