Salt Soap Attacks

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustBeachy

Reaction score
Sounds like a new movie!!

Ok a while back in a thread discussing salt soaps, the discussion of what grain salt to use. Some were saying they use rough, lots (including me) were saying they use fine or medium grain.

cmzaha, Carolyn, another avid salt soap junkie, proposed that the useage of medium to heavy grain salt could provide cuts and possibly liability issue's. So she only used fine grain salts. At the time I thought, think I even responded, that I never had that problem with my medium grain salt.

Well, obviously I was wrong and Carolyn was right. This is a picture of my thigh, after using a medium grain salt bar of mine. Wasn't scrubbing, just rubbing down with the bar, like I've done hundreds of times. Had to sit there and look at the scratch for a few minutes to actually get it to sink in that it was from a salt granule that was positioned just right in the bar.

Now I'm a big boy and I can take a little scratch. I barely even cried. :shh: But Carol had a good point, and I think I just proved it to myself. Wonder what would have happened if I had sold this salt to someone whose husband was a lawyer. Just something to think about.

Salt Cut.jpg

Last edited:
Oh My! Glad you are ok! I always use extra fine grain salt because I always feared I would scratch myself to death if I used anything else.

Wow! Thanks for posting your ouchie! It puts a whole new spin on rubbing salt in a wound. lol I guess I'll be sticking with my fine grain salt.

IrishLass :)

Oh fine, just make fun of my pain and misery! hahaha I've just become a big fan of fine grain salt. :)

Oh My! Glad you are ok! I always use extra fine grain salt because I always feared I would scratch myself to death if I used anything else.

Apparently it can happen. So it seems all you fine grain salt soapers were on the right track. Guess all the medium grain i have in stock is going into my milk baths mixtures. :)

Nice thigh....lol Sorry you got an ouchy. I only use fine grain salt as well. Though, not going to lie I did use some a little less than fine and it was a bit scratchy but never left a mark.

I had the same thing happen to me but it was across my chest. I won't even use rough salt as topping now, not worth the risk.

Oh crap! I made a small batch, (at least it's a small batch )of BB's Chipotle Caramel, and I didn't smell any chipotle, so I put some nice, really big grains of sea salt on top and called it, "Salted Caramel". I thought, well, people will know not to rub that side on their skin, won't they? Now I'm thinking I'm going to try to slice off that salt and call it Caramel something else. Sorry you had to be wounded to prove the point, but it's a good lesson. Thanks for taking one for the team!

I have even had a not as deep as that but equally concerning scratch from my extra fine himalayan salt bars. I found the darker pink grains were really sharp even though the grain is super fine. Deceiving! I now find my super soft fine sea salt to be the only one I really like. Scary!

Ouchy Just Beachy. I add in oatmeal to add scrub to my salt bars and prefer just plain Pacific Sea salt in fine grind. Also I know I have mentioned this before, that grinding in a grinder will cause salt to have sharp edges. It will also sharpen the edges of steel cut oatmeal

Ouch! I've never made salt bars..nor even used one..but it's good info about using the finer grains for if and when I ever do..sorry you got da bo bo tho :(

Nice thigh....lol Sorry you got an ouchy. I only use fine grain salt as well. Though, not going to lie I did use some a little less than fine and it was a bit scratchy but never left a mark.

Haha, was that showing too much skin?

I have even had a not as deep as that but equally concerning scratch from my extra fine himalayan salt bars. I found the darker pink grains were really sharp even though the grain is super fine. Deceiving! I now find my super soft fine sea salt to be the only one I really like. Scary!

The medium grain salt that was used in these bars had some brown grains mixed in. Probably to try and make it look more "real sea salt". From inspecting the bars, it looks like it was one of those that was sharp.

Ouchy Just Beachy. I add in oatmeal to add scrub to my salt bars and prefer just plain Pacific Sea salt in fine grind. Also I know I have mentioned this before, that grinding in a grinder will cause salt to have sharp edges. It will also sharpen the edges of steel cut oatmeal

Well, you have a convert in me, and like I said earlier in the post, you made a great point on the liability issue of heavier grain salts. Good call!!

Ouch! I've never made salt bars..nor even used one..but it's good info about using the finer grains for if and when I ever do..sorry you got da bo bo tho :(

It really wasn't painful at all, which means the crystal must have been pretty sharp. Thanks for the concern, but like I tell my kids all the time. I've scratched my eyeball worse than that. haha:razz:

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried a pink sea salt that goes by the name "real salt" it has darker brownish pink bits in it that are very scratchy. I later found out they are bits of mineral rich clay that does dissolve as you wash. I only made a few bars with it and have to be very careful when using them. Canning salt is still my favorite to use.

"The essential oils are gentle but keep in mind the poppies are fairly sharp. Some people absolutely love the "scratch" the poppies give off but it is not for everyone."

I put that disclaimer with my poppy seed bar. If any of you have a rough salt in a bar you sell, you may want to do something along those lines.

"The essential oils are gentle but keep in mind the poppies are fairly sharp. Some people absolutely love the "scratch" the poppies give off but it is not for everyone."

I put that disclaimer with my poppy seed bar. If any of you have a rough salt in a bar you sell, you may want to do something along those lines.
I also put a disclaimer on my salt bars just in case a errant larger grain of salt ends up in the bar

I bought a soap bar a few months back that had poppy seeds in it and those little things are sharp! I was pretty surprised at how sharp they are and wondered why so many people use them. I wouldn't only use them for soap meant to be used only on the hands as a grit type soap.

Thats odd, my poppy seeds are fairly smooth. Are the ones you used broken up?

Most people love it. I started off with all of them whole, now it is 1/2 whole 1/2 ground up. The complaints happened when they were whole -- I have had no complaints since the blend, but I'm leaving the warning up.

I also put a disclaimer on my salt bars just in case a errant larger grain of salt ends up in the bar

I think that's a great idea.

I haven't used poppy seed in soap yet, might have to try it. I usually save the poppy seeds for my home made Kolaches. It's almost time for the Christmas batch. :)

Back