Salt in soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hozhed

Reaction score
Was reading here about putting salt in soap. Is there a minimum or maximum amount one can add? Also, does any salt work and when do you add it in the process? I am also wondering how salt helps with the lather. As a Mainer with salt water running thru my veins, is the frothy foam I see from the crashing waves on the rocks the reason salt helps with lather in the soap bar? ??:?:

The answer to those questions can be found for the most part in this thread.

http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=55718

Now let me go find the other one titled "salt bars, why great?"

There has been alot on this recently (A LOT) just do a search and you'll find your answers.

Here you go:

http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=55002&highlight=great

Have fun with your reading and educational resources!

Oh and the frothy foam you see on crashing waves is not from the salt but actually from the impurities like proteins and also fats in the water. :)

Last edited:
The amount depends on why you are using the salt. If you are using it to make a salt bar, then you can add as much as 100% ppo if you desire (added to the batter right before your pour into your mold). I myself like to use 25% ppo for my salt bars. Salt inhibits lather, so you'll definitely want to experiment to see what % works best for you and your formula. For what it's worth, I've always found that the higher the salt, the less big fluffy/bubbly and more foamy/creamy the lather- somewhat akin to the likes of shaving cream in a sense.

Or, if you are using salt to lend a little hardness to your formula instead, most people use about 1 teaspoon-worth mixed in some water and added at some point along the way, I know not when, because I've never added salt any other way than when making salt bars.

IrishLass :)

Add the tablespoon of salt to an ounce or so of water you pull out of the lye water before you add the lye. Then mix into the oils before the lye water gets added. This way you are sure it all dissolves.

Back