Salt bars...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LJA

Reaction score
Wow. I just used my first salt bar (first succesful one that didn't go all amityville on me...lol) and I'm GEEKED about how great these make your skin feel!! I had no idea!! LOVE them!!!

The only salt bar I ever made (and honestly don't remember how I did it) was a complete disaster and they crumbled apart, instead of turning hard. If anyone has a tip to share as to making successful salt bars instead of suck-stress-ful bars, I would be appreciative.

My problem wasn't that I couldn't cut the salt bars that I tried to make, but rather that they perpetually felt oily and sweaty and when they finally did stop sweating, they were soft and never seemed firmed up like they should be. It was a moment of wanting to throw salt over my shoulder for all the salt wasted in those bars. They smelled awful, too...darn strawberry FO!

jarvan said:
My problem wasn't that I couldn't cut the salt bars that I tried to make, but rather that they perpetually felt oily and sweaty and when they finally did stop sweating, they were soft and never seemed firmed up like they should be. It was a moment of wanting to throw salt over my shoulder for all the salt wasted in those bars. They smelled awful, too...darn strawberry FO!

Sounds like YOU made an Amityville bar too! lol. What oils did you use?
I used an 80% coconut recipe and that worked. Any fear I had of making the Incredible Oil Sucking Bar is gone. It's actually not drying at all. It's very skin softening. I'll let more experienced salt bar pros help you better, but your recipe might need a tweak.

salt bar

Can you sub babassu oil for the coconut oil. I can't use coconut oil in my soaps or my skin gets so dried out I'm itchy and rashy (a word?) all day. I know the coconut oil is for the lather but most things I've read say that babassu oil is very similar to coconut.

When you used 80% coconut, did you superfat way high? I'm getting all nervous about having an oil-sweating soap, lol!

Vinca Leaf said:
When you used 80% coconut, did you superfat way high? I'm getting all nervous about having an oil-sweating soap, lol!

I SF'd high, yes. Sandra - if seems to be a differen't animal with salt bars. You don't dry out at all. I don't know if it's the salt or the big SF or a combo of the too, but you don't get dryness.

LJA is completely right ... for some reason I can't use high CO soaps .. they dry me out ... but I'm fine with salt bars. You have to use a high % of CO, otherwise you won't get any kind of lather at all (yeah that was a disaster ... lol).

My salt bars were 85% CO 10% Shea Butter and 5% Castor with a 20% superfat. You are so right LJA - they are awesome to shower with! Just like a swim in the ocean (without the sticky afterfeel :wink: ).

Congratulations on your successful batch! Will we see pics pretty please?

Tanya :)

I love salt bars too. I love that after you've been using it for a while it starts to turn smooth as a stone. And they last for ages.
The tips that I have to offer re: successful salt bars are: work with a high amount of coconut oil, or babassu if that's what you like. You need the high coconut % otherwise it won't lather because of all the salt.
Use 50-80% of your oils in salt. Start off at 50% then see how you go.
Yes, cut them as soon as they are set, even if still hot, otherwise you get the crumblies. I think individual moulds, or a divider are perfect for salt bars.

ChrissyB said:
I love salt bars too. I love that after you've been using it for a while it starts to turn smooth as a stone. And they last for ages.
The tips that I have to offer re: successful salt bars are: work with a high amount of coconut oil, or babassu if that's what you like. You need the high coconut % otherwise it won't lather because of all the salt.
Use 50-80% of your oils in salt. Start off at 50% then see how you go.
Yes, cut them as soon as they are set, even if still hot, otherwise you get the crumblies. I think individual moulds, or a divider are perfect for salt bars.

How do you guys determine what percentage of salt to use? Is it just a feel and preference thing? I used 80%, and I'm thinking I could go even higher - or maybe I just need to use a more coarse salt. I used "fine", and...just like you said...it's very smooth like a stone. I was expecting a a scrubby effect. Not rip-yer-skin-off scrubby, but this is like GLASS smooth. If I wanted them slightly more scrubified (technical term), should I change the salt texture, or up the salt content?

This has been an interesting thread. I'm going to be trying this soon but I don't have any individual molds so I'll be using my log mold. Will it be ok to cut it with my soap cutting blade or will I need to use a wire cutter?

And do any of you who make salt bars discount your water? Or would that be a no no?

Thanks,
zeo

I love my salt bar too!

Jarvan,

I did my salt bar hp. I added the salt after the cook, at 75% of the weight of the oils (add your color and FO before the salt). no problems whatsoever...but it has to be cut fast at about 45 min after molding.

easy peasy

I have yet to foray into HP, just learning CP the best I can. I will remember the HP part next time I get a brainy notion to do a salt bar. It might be a good way to learn the method.

Thanks for the info.

zeoplum said:
This has been an interesting thread. I'm going to be trying this soon but I don't have any individual molds so I'll be using my log mold. Will it be ok to cut it with my soap cutting blade or will I need to use a wire cutter?

And do any of you who make salt bars discount your water? Or would that be a no no?

Thanks,
zeo

Hi Zeo, I used a divider mould and the soap practically fell out! No sticking thank goodness. Individual moulds will work too. Everything I have read about cutting salt bars is that you should cut while still warm. A wire will work and a very sharp knife should too. Have a look at this page and read Cathy's notes at the bottom to give you ideas. She took a water discount. I didn't when I made my batch, and my soap batter was easy to handle and to pour into the mould.

Tanya :)

I usually use the same amount of salt that I use oils. My very first batch almost 2 years ago came out great, but My last few I didn't like. The last one I made I put more salt than my oils and it's a pain to get lather from it. I think next time I'm going to try a hp batch.

Salt Bar

Does anyone have a salt bar recipe to post? I've never heard of this, but it sounds great. I checked the recipe section of the forum and the recipe page, but I don't see it listed anywhere.

Latest posts

Back