Salt bars

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes. I read that hot process salt bars were hard but I didn't have much trouble. They did start drying really fast, and for me, the loaf mold worked better than individual molds. The batter was too thick for individual molds. Glad to hear they cure faster with HP.
No, actually, they don't cure faster. HP saponifies soap faster but can actually require a longer cure than CP soaps due the extra amound of liquid needed for it,

I can't wait to try mine! But I can't remember if they are the ones that are 100% CO and need to cure for a year or the ones that need to cure for 6 months.... LOL
I'll need to check my binder when I get home! The Himalayan are the one's I'm most excited about, I hope they are not too rough for me either....

I'm curious about why a 100% CO bar would need to cure for 6 months to a year. I've never heard of that before. 😊

I'm curious about why a 100% CO bar would need to cure for 6 months to a year. I've never heard of that before. 😊
These are salt bars they are talking about, and they take a long time to get to the point of their max lather, and mildness. You can certainly use them sooner. I still have a few that are at least 5 yrs old and are primo salt bars. Another factor is how much salt used in the bars, I use 100% salt and mine will take much longer to get to the point of nice lather than a bar with 50% salt. Some soapmakers do not make salt bars using 100% CO, so now another issues come into play along with the salt percentage, I use 85% CO/PKO split with my 100% salt, so I let my cure for at least 6 months, although they are perfectly fine to use after 4 weeks they will have no lather.

These are salt bars they are talking about, and they take a long time to get to the point of their max lather, and mildness. You can certainly use them sooner. I still have a few that are at least 5 yrs old and are primo salt bars. Another factor is how much salt used in the bars, I use 100% salt and mine will take much longer to get to the point of nice lather than a bar with 50% salt. Some soapmakers do not make salt bars using 100% CO, so now another issues come into play along with the salt percentage, I use 85% CO/PKO split with my 100% salt, so I let my cure for at least 6 months, although they are perfectly fine to use after 4 weeks they will have no lather.

Thanks for the thorough explaination! I had no idea salt bars required a longer cure for nice lather. This, in part anyway, explains why my one batch of salt bars was such a failure. Maybe I'll give them another go.

Thanks for the thorough explaination! I had no idea salt bars required a longer cure for nice lather. This, in part anyway, explains why my one batch of salt bars was such a failure. Maybe I'll give them another go.
I hope you put your salt bars away and did not throw them away. They could be wonderful by now.

I'm a new Soap maker and am intrigued with using salt. I seen posts with what type of salt to use, I"ve
seen that I want to dissolve it in the water before the lye. My question is how much to use to
get harder soap.

I'm a new Soap maker and am intrigued with using salt. I seen posts with what type of salt to use, I"ve
seen that I want to dissolve it in the water before the lye. My question is how much to use to
get harder soap.

You don't need much. 1 tsp per pound of oil in your recipe is enough to harden. You are right, always dissolve the salt before adding the lye.

Keep in mind this just affects the physical hardness, it won't help a soap last longer.

Hello! I'm also new to soap making and Im currently fascinated with salt bars. I've been reading some posts on this forum and from what I gather is that minimum amount of salt used in salt bars is 50%. I have, however found recipes calling for less salt -20%- and made some bars accordingly to them. Now I am wondering whether they'll have similar properties to those of 50% and whether the cure time should also be in months and not weeks. Are these even salt bars if they're based on only 20% of salt?
Also, when you all write about testing them every month or so to see how is the soap performing, do you mean you test the same bar of soap in monthly intervals?
Looking forward to your replies!
thank you
Monika

Hello! I'm also new to soap making and Im currently fascinated with salt bars. I've been reading some posts on this forum and from what I gather is that minimum amount of salt used in salt bars is 50%. I have, however found recipes calling for less salt -20%- and made some bars accordingly to them. Now I am wondering whether they'll have similar properties to those of 50% and whether the cure time should also be in months and not weeks. Are these even salt bars if they're based on only 20% of salt?
Also, when you all write about testing them every month or so to see how is the soap performing, do you mean you test the same bar of soap in monthly intervals?
Looking forward to your replies!
thank you
Monika

I use 35% salt and have use 25% before. I'd say your 20% is still a salt bar and will need a long cure. Try more salt next time, it does make a difference.

When testing monthly, you use the same bar. After using, dry it off and put it up someplace until you are ready to test again.

I use 35% salt and have use 25% before. I'd say your 20% is still a salt bar and will need a long cure. Try more salt next time, it does make a difference.

When testing monthly, you use the same bar. After using, dry it off and put it up someplace until you are ready to test again.
Thank you, thats very helpful!

Just another thought, did any of you have experience with adding only 10% salt ? Does that improve the longevity of the soap bars? I have tested a few recipes recently in the search of the most bubbly yet long lasting, conditioning soap and wondered whether adding salt to any of them would help to preserve the bars? I am struggling to hit the right spot between bubbly and long lasting.

Back