Salt bars

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ugeauxgirl

Reaction score
I'm going to attempt a salt bar. I got a recipe from this forum that specifically says use fine sea salt, but not himalayan salt. I have a book that says never use sea salt, use table salt or himalayan salt. Has anyone had bad experience with one kind of salt or another?

I usually use fine sea salt without issue. Dead Sea salt will cause weeping (I've heard - never tried it) and is not recommended for that reason. I've used plain table salt and it works just fine :) I've read here that Himalayan salt is too sharp and should not be used. Again - I've never tried it personally, but have read elsewhere that it isn't an issue.

Plain Table Salt works fine in salt bars. Himalayan is too scratchy and I have run across some Pacific Sea Salt that felt like little needles. Specifically, it was fine sea salt in bulk from Winco. I will also mention The Black Hawaiian Sea Salts are a waste of money, they are Pacific Sea Salt infused with charcoal. You can just use Pacific Sea salt with activated charcoal added.

I've made 2 batches and only 2 batches so far. One was finely ground sea salt and the other was part fine Himalayan pink/table salt. I've sadly not been able to try either yet. I made the Himalayan before reading all the warning of its' scratchiness! So I guess we will see in about 7 or 8 months! :rolleyes: :oops:

I'll vouch for even 'extra fine' pink himalayan salt being too scratchy. Hubby will still use it though, although he prefers the bars that use the canning and pickling salt. I tried dendritic salt once and I had weepy nasty bars so I won't use that again for salt bars.

I am the outlier who loves extra fine Himalayan sea salt (Kirkland brand from Costco) in her salt bars. It doesn’t scratch me at all. 🤔
I can't wait to try mine! But I can't remember if they are the ones that are 100% CO and need to cure for a year or the ones that need to cure for 6 months.... LOL
I'll need to check my binder when I get home! The Himalayan are the one's I'm most excited about, I hope they are not too rough for me either....

I can't wait to try mine! But I can't remember if they are the ones that are 100% CO and need to cure for a year or the ones that need to cure for 6 months.... LOL
I'll need to check my binder when I get home! The Himalayan are the one's I'm most excited about, I hope they are not too rough for me either....
I'd recommend trying one at six months just to see how they feel. Then once a month after that till you find the sweet spot for curing your recipe.

16122287078494147843429737498706.jpg

Yes. I read that hot process salt bars were hard but I didn't have much trouble. They did start drying really fast, and for me, the loaf mold worked better than individual molds. The batter was too thick for individual molds. Glad to hear they cure faster with HP.

Latest posts

Back