Salt Bars

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BattleGnome

Reaction score
There is a 90% chance I'm overreacting, but I might have messed up my first salt bars. I'm pretty confident I'll be fine, I'm just worried about my super fat.

Recipe:
24.03oz coconut oil
18.17oz fine sea salt
.42oz Sparkling Snowdrop FO
3.32oz NaOH
9.03oz water
plus micas and glitter

I honestly think I'm panicking about nothing but I am panicking. This recipe should have roughly 25% SF as calculated on SoapCalc. These are the exact measurements I used. For an accelerating FO it felt like it took forever to move past emulsion. Then I panicked because I thought I had too much batter then instantly realized that I had planned for that miscalculation to begin with. Now I'm stressing about super fat and starting to rant.

Point of this story, is 25% too high? Should I expect to rebatch to add more lye in later?

gratuitous pic

I wouldn't worry too much. Just wait and see what happens. I use a 18% SF and love my salt bars. I use Coconut Milk in mine as well so the SF ends up being a bit more. I would just give them a good long cure. Hopefully it's a small batch and if you don't like them then not much lost. I've not gone above 20% but maybe someone has and will jump in.

It will cut some of the lather, but with a nice long cure they should be fine. I soap my salt bars between 15-17% superfat, but mine are 85-90% coconut oil. Salt bars really become much better with a min 6 month cure and 1 yr makes for a primo salt bar

Thanks all. I was half thinking Christmas presents for this batch before I panicked but maybe I'll wait till next year.

Arimara - the only way I can describe the FO is floral. I spilled a bit and now half the house smells like flowers. DH says it smells like his grandma or great grandma's house but can't place who or where right now.

I have to be heavy handed with the FO in a salt bar otherwise I just can't smell it at all. More than 1 oz ppo.

I went a bit lighter because florals tend to overpower everything for me and then my dad refuses to use my soaps because of my scent choices. I'm trying to use lighter scents in general so he'll stop using dial.

I went a bit lighter because florals tend to overpower everything for me and then my dad refuses to use my soaps because of my scent choices. I'm trying to use lighter scents in general so he'll stop using dial.

That is hilarious.

Maybe think about making some men's fragrances. Cool Water from NG is good, Fierce from soapsupplies.net is really nice, Werewolf from NG, and of course Dragon's Blood. These are all great sellers for me with DB #1 followed by Cool Water. I also find many men like Eucalyptus. Just a thought

I've tried several unisex scents, he finds something to complain about. My next plan is Irish Spring or I can just make every third batch unscented for him

I didn't even think of that since I hate the smell. If the Irish Spring goes over well I might have to look into that for his birthday

Latest posts

Back