Salt bars

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bamagirl

Reaction score
I think a salt bar will be my next batch. I am thinking of the following recipe based on some of the threads I've read here:

80% CO
20% lard
25% salt (table salt)
15% superfat

I was also thinking of adding some charcoal to the mix. (Hoping this might help with my son's oily skin?)

I was planning on adding the charcoal to my melted oils and adding the salt at a medium trace?

Am I correct that salt bars need several months for a good cure?

Thanks for any advice or tips!

Lard is one of my favorite soaping oils but I don't care for it in salt bars. I would replace it with olive oil or some other liquid oil. Medium trace is good for adding salt, you want it thick enough the salt doesn't sink but not so thick it hardens immediately.

What kind of mold are you using? Timing when to cut is the toughest part of salt bars, I really prefer to use cavity molds.

I am a lardinator and don't use lard in salt bars. I also use fine salt ( as opposed to table salt) for most of the salt bars. CO @ lots and fill in with OO and a touch of Castor. LOTS of salt too. At least 50% by weight of oils for me.

You may not need ( or want) the charcoal in them for your son but since you have it from the challenge you could always do a split batch and have both in one swell foop.

I made a very nice salt bar for my bf and teen son. I'd follow the suggestion of no lard. I did 80% CO, 15% sunflower oil (I had read that one of the acid profiles in sunflower is helpful in treating acne), and 5% castor. I used charcoal and spearmint eo (I had read that mint eo's are pore clearing and spearmint is less irritating than peppermint). 50% salt PPO. Both guys reported back that they feel less greasy during the day and less facial redness. The bf doesn't have an acne problem so no change to his skin there. The teen feels that it helps "when I remember to use it". I did it just as you were asking (or I may have put the charcoal in my lye water, I don't remember now and notes are at home) and used a cavity mold. I let these cure 8 weeks before the boys started using them. they are definitely improving over time. I have two other batches that I will let cure 3-4 months before I gift them (or use them for me).

Lard is one of my favorite soaping oils but I don't care for it in salt bars. I would replace it with olive oil or some other liquid oil. Medium trace is good for adding salt, you want it thick enough the salt doesn't sink but not so thick it hardens immediately.

What kind of mold are you using? Timing when to cut is the toughest part of salt bars, I really prefer to use cavity molds.

Ok, will replace the lard with olive oil.

I will be using a cavity mold too. I bought one just to use for salt bars and laundry bars.
I am a lardinator and don't use lard in salt bars. I also use fine salt ( as opposed to table salt) for most of the salt bars. CO @ lots and fill in with OO and a touch of Castor. LOTS of salt too. At least 50% by weight of oils for me.

You may not need ( or want) the charcoal in them for your son but since you have it from the challenge you could always do a split batch and have both in one swell foop.

The charcoal serves two purposes for me. 1) I hope it helps absorb some oil, but more importantly 2) for color, so he will know which bar is for his face lol.

I may add 5% castor, especially since I already have some. I just wasn't sure it would play nice in a salt bar.
I made a very nice salt bar for my bf and teen son. I'd follow the suggestion of no lard. I did 80% CO, 15% sunflower oil (I had read that one of the acid profiles in sunflower is helpful in treating acne), and 5% castor. I used charcoal and spearmint eo (I had read that mint eo's are pore clearing and spearmint is less irritating than peppermint). 50% salt PPO. Both guys reported back that they feel less greasy during the day and less facial redness. The bf doesn't have an acne problem so no change to his skin there. The teen feels that it helps "when I remember to use it". I did it just as you were asking (or I may have put the charcoal in my lye water, I don't remember now and notes are at home) and used a cavity mold. I let these cure 8 weeks before the boys started using them. they are definitely improving over time. I have two other batches that I will let cure 3-4 months before I gift them (or use them for me).

Good to know on the spearmint.

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 on the OO and Castor

I usually mix my charcoal in a little of the oil I've held back - say an ounce or two out of your olive oil. Mix it in good with a tiny whisk or mini mixer, then I blend it it when the oils are mixed with the lye.

Why did you decide on 25% salt? I only ask because I do 80% and my logic is because I love salt so :) I think its Irish Lass who does like 25%? But then Carolyn does 100% salt ppo, so there are many options.

I too do 25-35% salt. I tried higher but like the lower amount better. It's all personal choice. They are so amazing. I've said it many times, they are my personal favorite.

+1 on the OO and Castor

I usually mix my charcoal in a little of the oil I've held back - say an ounce or two out of your olive oil. Mix it in good with a tiny whisk or mini mixer, then I blend it it when the oils are mixed with the lye.

Why did you decide on 25% salt? I only ask because I do 80% and my logic is because I love salt so :) I think its Irish Lass who does like 25%? But then Carolyn does 100% salt ppo, so there are many options.

25% because my son has acne and I was afraid it might burn if I went higher????

I usually go much higher on the salt, but will try a lower one to see what it's like.

Some people like castor in salt bars, some not. My recipe (from a certain lady here) is the co, avo and castor option and it works well enough for me. Should try it with no castor, too, just to see.

Since my original batch of soap had castor, and I love that soap (even though I haven't gotten to use it yet, just the pieces that I've tested are wonderful) I have no problem adding the castor. Ugghhh soaping is frustrating because there are so many combinations to try and I just don't know what will be best for us since I am just starting out.

I like 35% salt best, too high and it reduces the lather.

I've done 2 batches of salt bars that I've used so far - 40 and 60% salt, and I much prefer the lather on the 40%.

ETA - I use the canning/pickling salt - it's finer than table salt.

I've always made my salt bars with close to 100% salt to oils, but intrigued with all the comments about less salt. Gonna try 60% salt with 80% CO, 15% almond or apricot, 5% castor. Had previously used 15% shea butter or avocado, but after taking all the good advice here find I much prefer almond or apricot. Good to know pickling/canning salt is finer than regular. I typically use extra fine Himalayan, Red Alaea or Hawaiian black lava -- know they're spendy, but I wait for the sales and buy in 20-lb bags, so not that much of a bite. Thanks all, learn something every day here!

And using a high percentage of salt -- I make a charcoal and dead sea mud bar at 100% black salt to oils that's great for acne. Yes it stings a bit, but so does seawater at the beach, and my face never feels better than after a dip in the ocean :)

Last edited:
My final recipe will be

80% co
15% oo
5% castor

I have yet to decide on how much charcoal I will add, but will be doing 25% salt.

But, I have question about superfatting. I know 80% coconut may be drying, but since I am using a little olive oil, I was wondering if 10% sf would be ok? Or even 5%? My son has oily skin, so I am tempted to only go 5%? What do you think?

From what I have read, you actually don't want to be too cleansing on oily skin - the skin just makes more oil to catch up.
I have fairly oily skin and a grubby job, and I find that 20% SF with 80 % OO is plenty cleansing but not stripping. When I accidentally made a batch at 5% it was ok for hands but would never use on my face.

That said, you are using less salt than what I usually do (80%) and Im not sure how that figures into the equation.

I made the soap today. I used 1 Tablespoon charcoal and the batter was really black. I'm not sure it is going to cure that black, but we will see. Hopefully tomorrow I can unmold and post a picture. Here's the recipe I used. (I didn't know how to link directly from soapcalc, so I scanned my copy :), so please excuse the writing lol)

Edited to add: When I post pics of my soap, do I post them here on the thread or in the soap pics thread?

Facial Soap.jpg

I made the soap today. I used 1 Tablespoon charcoal and the batter was really black. I'm not sure it is going to cure that black, but we will see. Hopefully tomorrow I can unmold and post a picture. Here's the recipe I used. (I didn't know how to link directly from soapcalc, so I scanned my copy :), so please excuse the writing lol)

Edited to add: When I post pics of my soap, do I post them here on the thread or in the soap pics thread?

With that much coconut oil and salt, it should be ready to un-mold in just a few hours. If you have to cut it, you need to watch it and cut as soon as you can. If you wait too long it will be brittle when you cut.

I would start a new topic in The Photo Gallery. Unless something goes south, and then I would start a new post in the beginners forum with pictures and questions.

Latest posts

Back