Salt bars

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With that much coconut oil and salt, it should be ready to un-mold in just a few hours. If you have to cut it, you need to watch it and cut as soon as you can. If you wait too long it will be brittle when you cut.

I would start a new topic in The Photo Gallery. Unless something goes south, and then I would start a new post in the beginners forum with pictures and questions.

I used a six cavity mold so I wouldn't have to cut (I have a tendency to get sidetracked and forget), do I still need to unmold in a few hours if it's ready or should it be ok to wait until tomorrow?

I made the soap today. I used 1 Tablespoon charcoal and the batter was really black. I'm not sure it is going to cure that black, but we will see. Hopefully tomorrow I can unmold and post a picture. Here's the recipe I used. (I didn't know how to link directly from soapcalc, so I scanned my copy :), so please excuse the writing lol)

I just did the Jan soap challenge and I added 2 teaspoons of AC to 400 g of soap batter and it was really black. Some people find that the AC causes the lather to be black in high concentrations.

Another option might be to mix the charcoal batter with white batter to reduce black lather, if that is a problem for you.

I just did the Jan soap challenge and I added 2 teaspoons of AC to 400 g of soap batter and it was really black. Some people find that the AC causes the lather to be black in high concentrations.

Another option might be to mix the charcoal batter with white batter to reduce black lather, if that is a problem for you.

This is true. Your lather is going to be grey, and it might stain a washcloth. But not permanently, it will wash out.

This is true. Your lather is going to be grey, and it might stain a washcloth. But not permanently, it will wash out.

Hmmm, the son may not be too excited to use it on his face with the grey lather! Oh well, he will just have to get over it, especially if it helps with his oiliness/acne!

Hmmm, the son may not be too excited to use it on his face with the grey lather! Oh well, he will just have to get over it, especially if it helps with his oiliness/acne!

Haha. I have never minded tinted lather. I use a bath poof, and a brush on a handle, so I am not concerned.

If you get into using mica or oxides, those can stain a light colored cloths permanently if you use too much.

I've always made my salt bars with close to 100% salt to oils, but intrigued with all the comments about less salt. Gonna try 60% salt with 80% CO, 15% almond or apricot, 5% castor. Had previously used 15% shea butter or avocado, but after taking all the good advice here find I much prefer almond or apricot. Good to know pickling/canning salt is finer than regular. I typically use extra fine Himalayan, Red Alaea or Hawaiian black lava -- know they're spendy, but I wait for the sales and buy in 20-lb bags, so not that much of a bite. Thanks all, learn something every day here!

And using a high percentage of salt -- I make a charcoal and dead sea mud bar at 100% black salt to oils that's great for acne. Yes it stings a bit, but so does seawater at the beach, and my face never feels better than after a dip in the ocean :)
Keep in mind Hawaiian black lava salt is basically Pacific Sea salt with added charcoal.
The best lathering salt bars with my 100% salt are the ones I used grapeseed oil in so I am going back to grapeseed in salt bars. I recently went through all my old recipes and found my original salt bars recipes. Yes I am a horrific note taker but do keep printouts:)

I know, Carolyn, buying it from SFSC is probably ridiculous, but I have chef friends who love to cook with it and the Himalayan, and I always wait for their big sales and buy in bulk, so it lasts forever. Know I could make it myself for soaping, but somehow it's a little luxury that makes me happy :)

Carolyn, how much grape seed oil do you use? I just got some but I'm worried about DOS, never though about trying it in a salt bar.

Latest posts

Back