Salt Bars

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stepibarra

Reaction score
Ok so I tried to make salt bars...... Failed... Is there a way that you can rebatch these? I used Woodi's recipe...

My first attempt was a flop so I trashed it. Is the soap hard? If so I would think rebatching may not be an option.

Joanne

Yeah it is hard... I poured into individual molds, and when I went to unmold it came out in pieces.... I was so mad I could spit nails... Woodi's look so beautiful, I just wish I could get them to come out right.....

How much salt did you use? I only use 80% of my oils weight as salt. I also let gel every time. It is a very smooth bar of salt soap.

Paul :wink:

I used exactly 8oz. of salt.... I followed the recipe to a letter. I guess it just wasn't meant to be

Stepibarra,

Don't throw your soap out! It cannot be rebatched (ask me how I know :wink: ), but you can grind, chunk or grate it up and throw it in another batch as soap confetti or whatever. I've done this many times with a large batch of salt soap I made that didn't turn out. I just grated it up and incorporated it into other batches of soap. My absolute favorite batch I used the gratings in was a Castile-type Christmas-themed soap I made last year. You can see it in the following link: (just scroll down to the 21st. picture.)

http://members.cox.net/ssfkjfalf/AllMySoap/Start.htm

I also used the salt bar flakes in the soap in picture #3, as well as in the soap in the very last picture on the bottom. I'm a stickler for not letting a batch go to waste if I can help it. The soaps I threw the salt bar gratings in felt great, by the way.

IrishLass

Irishlass - looking at your beautiful soaps is always a pleasure. :D

I have got to take a road trip and start visiting all you wonderful soapmakers for lessons. :lol:

Digit

One thing I have learned about salt bars over the years is to never throw them out. If they crumble leave them alone. Let them set for a week or so and make confetti soap with them.
189782464_4c3bb27085.jpg

This one was made after I boogered a batch. I let the soap set for about a week and then shredded it semi fine. I think it turned out pretty well.

350362051_ff41a90677.jpg

This one is one of my simpler recipes and takes about 5 hours.

Can I see your recipe?

this is the recipe that I followed.

8.4 ounces coconut oil
.9 ounces castor oil
lye 1.4 ounces
water 4 ounces
sea salt 8 ounces (by weight)

K...It looks like the superfat is well oevr 10%. Not bad but I don't go over 7. I put it in soapcalc and stopped at 10. Why don't you try this...

13.6 oz coconut 85%
2.40 oz castor 15%

water 6.37 oz (2.5:1)
lye 2.548 oz (9%)

With this one I would add between 12 and 16 oz of salt. You COULD add 12 oz of salt and 4 oz of oatmeal. :D

My sunflower salt bar has coconut, canola, avocado, sweet almond, soy wax and neem. :D

anhoki said:
189782464_4c3bb27085.jpg

This one was made after I boogered a batch. I let the soap set for about a week and then shredded it semi fine. I think it turned out pretty well.

Wow, I need one of these! :lol: Do you any left? I did not see it listed in your store.

Digit

:cry: No. I am going to try and dupe it soon though. I'll let you know when I do.

Keep me in mind when you do. Just one of those things when you see something, you know you "need" it. :lol: It reminds me of granite.

I have not attempted salt bars yet. I have one of Paul's and I absolutely LOVE it.

Digit

I'll do it. I've got about 15 different salt bar recipes. When I find it I will make a note. :D

digit said:
I have not attempted salt bars yet. I have one of Paul's and I absolutely LOVE it.
Digit

Thanks! I use Goat Milk, aloe vera, silk, and only 80% salt to oils by weight. It makes a smooth, creamy, bubbly salt bar. Been using 80% salt for over a year now in my recipe. For me 100% salt:eek:il to a bit too much.

Paul :wink:

Hi guys

Reading this post really makes me want to try my hand at salt bars. What exactly is the benefit of a salt bar over a regular bar of soap? Would the sea salt need to be ground extra fine?

Let me put it this way....Do you remember how great your skin feels once you've swam in the ocean? THAT is how my skin feels after bathing with a alt bar. :D

Back