Salt Bars

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kat

Reaction score
I'm not getting the benefit of salt bars. Can someone explain the purpose, size, shape, cost, benefits, purpose, am I repeating myself? I read that people LOVE a Salt Bar....Why, How come? Do they use it all over their body like normal soap, or is it for your face, your hair as a shampoo (maybe that would be a shampoo bar), for your feet,,,(dont want to go any further) Thank you, you Awesome group..Kat

Paul has some great looking salt bars! There are a few threads hanging round here about them. They have reached legendary status. I am sure he can read you some scripture from the Book of Paul.
I really! want to try making some! But Im skeered. They set up fast I hear. I am going to buy one of Paul's from his etsy site I believe. I cant ever remember my PayPal PW though so I will have to get my wife to do it. :oops:

Salt Bars are a really scrubby soap. They are a great way to exfoliate and smooth your skin.

The ones I make are mostly coconut oil with a bit of unrefined shea butter and of course, salt.

My wife loves them so I make them quite often.

My salt bars are not scrubbie at all and produce a very creamy, fluffy lather. To me they work best with a nylon scrubbie.

Salts are very detoxifying for our skin and contain many useful minerals that our skin loves. Your skin will benefit from the salts in the bar which is good for a variety of skin conditions and is said to stimulate the circulatory system and help ease rheumatic discomfort and metabolic disorders. They are easy to make too so don't be afraid to give it a try.

Paul's salt bars are not scrubby either. I have bought sugar bars that are VERY scrubby but have not experienced exfoliation w/ salt bars.

dpowell, LOVE your labels!

They don't "feel' scrubby. They are in fact very creamy and smooth. But you would have to think that the salt would add some "grit" if you understand what I mean.

Either way, my wife swears by them.

She has tried them from a few people and just loves them.

She also said the same thing about the nylon scrubbie. :)

May have to get one of Paul's soon for her to try out.

Would Epsom Salt be a good choice to add to soap? If so, how much to add per pound of oils? Should I mash it into powder or are the large crystals better. And when to add, at trace?

PhillipJ said:
Would Epsom Salt be a good choice to add to soap? If so, how much to add per pound of oils? Should I mash it into powder or are the large crystals better. And when to add, at trace?

No, Epsom's Salt is NOT salt. It won't work. Stick to Sea Salt, Canning & Pickling salt, or Kosher salt, even regular table salt, but definitely not Epsom's Salt. It is not a sodium product, but, rather, Magnesium Sulfate .

Thanks Tab! My salt bars are not scrubby, as I use a finer grade of salt, like I mentioned, either sea salt or a mixture of sea salt and kosher salt. I keep my salt to a 80% of oils weight.

Paul.... :wink:

ETA: Just noticed that PhilJ and DPowell are both from Appleton, WI, must know each other! 8)

Oooooh.

Thanks for the info Paul. I just thought that Epsom Salt would be a good choice, as it's used in baths.

In my mind, salt would be drying to the skin. Now I can't remember if I rinsed with fresh water or not after swimming in the ocean.

80% of oils seems like an awfull lot. Oh well" I'll pour some in & try it. Happen to have some canning salt left over from my lye making experiment.

That experiment did make a caustic salt of inferior quality. Thinking about re-refining it somehow.

I did meet D Powell once. I tried some of his pretty wife's bath fizzies. They were even good with ice cream for dessert.

Yes, I met PhillipJ. He is a nice guy.

Glad you enjoyed the bath bombs. If you ever try to make them you'll appreciate the work that goes into getting them to come out right.

When I make salt bars I use 40 oz. oils and 40 oz. salt to a batch. As Paul said you want to use a sodium salt. I usually use regular table salt or kosher salt.

Have fun with it. Just remember you need to cut salt bars not too long after making them or you'll never get them cut.

I have been reading and research about salt bars and some places says add it to the water before the lye, add before trace, and others say to add after trace. :? So I'm all confused!!

Also I've read that sugar helps with the bubbles. So when do I had that?

jackie

campbellsoap said:
I have been reading and research about salt bars and some places says add it to the water before the lye, add before trace, and others say to add after trace. :? So I'm all confused!!

Also I've read that sugar helps with the bubbles. So when do I had that?

jackie

I've never heard or done it that way, not saying this could not be done. All I know is I add my 80% of oils by weight salt to my batter after emulsification with a stick blender, then stir by hand, with a whisk, the salt , and then add scent and any swirling I might want to do. Most people do use equal amounts of salt and oils, but I found the 100% oils and 80% salt of oils weight gives a nicer feeling, more sudsy, less harsh bar. I make mine with Coconut Oil, Shea Butter and Kpaingan Butter, with a touch of Castor Oil. I have never had the need to add sugar to my salt bars. I do add it at times to my regular CP soap recipes though.

Paul.... :wink:

Thanks Paul!

I don't have any of the butters now so I will have to see what oils I can use.

I'm sorry I didn't make myself clear the sugar I was talking about wasn't in Salt Bars but just in regular soap.

I have Fibromyalgia and have missed a bunch of work so for a while I will have to use oils I can buy at the grocery store due to lack of funds.

I do have a lot of kosher and pickling salt left over from summer so I can use that in my soap.

jackie

Totally OT, but dpowell, I love your site!!!
Man, I wish I had known 2 weeks ago that you have tarts and the warmers too as I was literally on a physical hunt for one of those here! :lol:
I'll have to come back and try some of your yummy sounding things once I have some $... :wink:

Btw, Paul, I *loooove* your quote in your siggi! So true, my friend!!!

Thank you FitMommyOf2. I actually spent most of the day Sunday changing the look and navigation of the site a bit. The site used to be almost all purple.

Today I'm hoping on making my new lightbox and finishing up the missing pictures. There are a bunch right now.

Latest posts

Back