salt bars not letting go of my molds

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marilyn Norgart

Reaction score
I made my first salt bars yesterday. I molded in individual molds some plastic ones and a silicone one. the silicone one unmolded this morning--no problem. the plastic ones on the other hand wont come out. I popped one in the freezer for a bit and they came out except for the edges, I got a couple bars out with out freezing but they stuck even worse. how long should I leave them in the molds before trying again. I am thinking freezing salt bars isn't a great idea--I say that cuz I think it would make them sweat--but I don't have a clue. I read that if they stick they might be lye heavy--is that correct?? too soon for me to do a zap test :)

I don't use plastic molds for my salt bars, I've tried it twice and the first ones I did I couldn't get them out, so the next time I tried rubbing a bit of mineral oil and they still stuck some but came out better. I only use silicone loafs or individual molds. Loafs I cut in 3 hours. Individual I usually let sit for a day or so.

Might seem like a stupid question but did you oil the mould before putting in the soap? It might help...

well I wrecked one of the plastic molds (of course my favorite one) and I see I can get it in silicone so I will do that next month

Might seem like a stupid question but did you oil the mould before putting in the soap? It might help...

no I didn't oil the molds--don't know if it would help or not but I think I am just going to do silicone for salt bars from now on--its just something I am making for me a couple friends so wont have to make too often

Latest posts

Back