Quantcast

salt bars not letting go of my molds

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

Marilyn Norgart

Reaction score
I made my first salt bars yesterday. I molded in individual molds some plastic ones and a silicone one. the silicone one unmolded this morning--no problem. the plastic ones on the other hand wont come out. I popped one in the freezer for a bit and they came out except for the edges, I got a couple bars out with out freezing but they stuck even worse. how long should I leave them in the molds before trying again. I am thinking freezing salt bars isn't a great idea--I say that cuz I think it would make them sweat--but I don't have a clue. I read that if they stick they might be lye heavy--is that correct?? too soon for me to do a zap test :)

atiz

Reaction score
I have not used individual molds for salt bars but if I usually unmold and cut mine within 2-4 hrs. How much salt did you use?

shunt2011

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
I don't use plastic molds for my salt bars, I've tried it twice and the first ones I did I couldn't get them out, so the next time I tried rubbing a bit of mineral oil and they still stuck some but came out better. I only use silicone loafs or individual molds. Loafs I cut in 3 hours. Individual I usually let sit for a day or so.

brandnew

Reaction score
Might seem like a stupid question but did you oil the mould before putting in the soap? It might help...

Skatergirl46

Soaper on wheels
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I only use silicone cavity molds for my salt bars. The plastic ones don’t release certain kinds of soap well, so I rarely use them.

Marilyn Norgart

Reaction score
well I wrecked one of the plastic molds (of course my favorite one) and I see I can get it in silicone so I will do that next month

Marilyn Norgart

Reaction score
Might seem like a stupid question but did you oil the mould before putting in the soap? It might help...
no I didn't oil the molds--don't know if it would help or not but I think I am just going to do silicone for salt bars from now on--its just something I am making for me a couple friends so wont have to make too often

Obsidian

Reaction score
When I use plastic molds, I freeze for a couple hours then let the bars warm up for a few minutes before popping them out.

Latest posts