Salt bars breaking apart... cut it too late?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deafsoaper

Reaction score
Hi

First time making salt bars using fine pink salt. I made it last night and probably like 12 hours I cut the sample block and barely get down half an inch with my wire cutter

So I used a knife to cut lol

Was it too late to cut it?

Attachments

• 20221005_124559.jpg
    20221005_124559.jpg
    999.8 KB · Views: 0
You waited too long to cut your salt bars, usually, they have to be cut just when they are set up and are still quite warm, almost too warm to touch, which is why it is best not to leave after pouring salt bars. FYI, even fine pink salt is usually too abrasive for salt bars, it is best to use plain table salt, x-fine to fine Pacific Sea Salt, or even canning salt, but no pink salt.

You waited too long to cut your salt bars, usually, they have to be cut just when they are set up and are still quite warm, almost too warm to touch, which is why it is best not to leave after pouring salt bars. FYI, even fine pink salt is usually too abrasive for salt bars, it is best to use plain table salt, x-fine to fine Pacific Sea Salt, or even canning salt, but no pink salt.
A few hours then cut?

It's hard to give a set amount of time, but yes-- a few hours. But, I check mine throughout that time. Sometimes they are ready to cut sooner than that.

If you don't want to worry about "when should I cut it," then I would recommend cavity molds.
Yeah ...don't want to do cavity molds

Will look off shape wise comparing to the non-salt soaps I make in a loaf mold.. will try it again another time

If this is new to you - just remember that the soap will be caustic still and maybe even very warm to the touch at these sorts of stages, so gloves (at least on the hand not actually cutting) might be an idea
Yeah it my first salt bar... thank God it only 1lb sample lol

Make sense that it still caustic

I should have mentioned that I am a hot process junkie, so my loaves at cutting are quite hot! I found that even adding 2 tablespoons of salt to a loaf will produce crumbly soap at a 24 hour set up time. (Can't speak for anyone else, though) 🙂

Latest posts

Back