Salt bars are too hard

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JadeyUK

Reaction score
Hi soap makers!
I am new to soap & have been playing about with making salt bars!
They seem to come out too hard!

I would love to only use Coconut Oil,
shea Butter & Pink Salt.

I’ve tried a few recipes one was soap101 recipe on youtube.

There is the link.

I also have course salt which I blend in the food processor and it comes out like dust. (does that matter?)

Thank you in advance
Im trying to make a high salt, coconut & shea, hand soap bar CP

Also what is a good process to rebatch all these hard bars?

Thank you

Hello and welcome, I love and make a lot of salt soap. If you searched a lot of information will come up.
My salt soap is 80% Coconut, 15% liquid oil (avocado, olive etc), 5% Castor. 50% salt. 18% SF Don’t use self ground pink salt. Only use fine salt (sea, regular salt, pickling salt). Others are too scratchy and could cut the skin.

I don’t use butters in my salt soap as I found they cut the lather.
You can make them with 100% CO as well. They do require a long cure.

Salt bars, with the high CO content, will need to be cut while still warm. Like in a few hours. That is, if your using o loaf mold. Many people use single cavity molds as not to deal with the time constraint.
I believe I have read on here that it is not advised to grind any salt because the shards will still be sharp, just smaller. I have used pink Himalayan salt in salt bars and will never do it again. They can literally cut you.
As far as rebatching goes, I have never heard of anyone rebatching salt bars, but hopefully someone else will chime in and be able to assist with that.

I only tried once to re-batch some ugly salt bars, I was miserable so never tried again. Faint memories as it was around 10 years ago! Perhaps it can be done. I ended up using them to clean my bathtub. Get them nice and wet and they do a pretty decent cleaning job.

Hello and welcome, I love and make a lot of salt soap. If you searched a lot of information will come up.
My salt soap is 80% Coconut, 15% liquid oil (avocado, olive etc), 5% Castor. 50% salt. 18% SF Don’t use self ground pink salt. Only use fine salt (sea, regular salt, pickling salt). Others are too scratchy and could cut the skin.

Great thank you for the tips I’m definitely going to use salt next time & hope they improve. I’ve been curing then for 4 weeks is that long enough?
thanks Jade

Salt bars are hard, its just how they are and there is no way to change it.
Are you having trouble cutting them?

I agree about the shea, butters cut the lather and isn't great in salt bars. I coconut and olive, makes a really nice bar.

Yes I think I Mean that too, they don’t lather will definitely try without the butter.

Keep on mind that salt bars also need a good long cure. I like minimum of 6 months.

Salt bars also seem to get a coating or something, it can take a couple uses before the lather starts to appear.

The amount of salt matters too, at least for me it does. 100% salt just doesn't lather in my hard water regardless of recipe. 35% is the best amount for my recipe and conditions.

I make a lovely salt bar with 80% Coconut Oil, 20% Shea Butter, 30% SF and 75% very fine salt. It's a wonderful bar with lots of lather, but it is best after at least 3 months cure and 6 months is even better.

I make a lovely salt bar with 80% Coconut Oil, 20% Shea Butter, 30% SF and 75% very fine salt. It's a wonderful bar with lots of lather, but it is best after at least 3 months cure and 6 months is even better.
Just personal preference. I didn’t like it much even at a year. Glad it works for you.

I have been making salt bars for 10+ years and find butters do nothing for salt bars but cut lather. Granted I use 100% salt in my bars using either fine Pacific Sea Salt, Plain table salt, or a mix of the two. do not waste money on Hawaiian Black Salt it is just a mix of charcoal and Pacific Sea salt. As others have mentioned absolutely do not use Pink Himalayan and do not grind your own salt. I think I was one of the first to point out both of those facts years ago. You might get away with using butters in salt bars at low percentages with lower than 100% salt, we just like lots of salt. Full water which is around a 27% Lye Concentration works best in salt bars with 17-20% SF. Like Shunt I prefer 18%. I use 80-85% CO 10% Castor 5-10% Avo, Canola or Sunflower, regular or HO. I cure mine 6-12 months.

Pour in individual molds or cut when they are still quite warm to the touch. I have to cut mine within 45 minutes, so they are actually very warm. Salt bars may be very hard but they do not necessarily last a long time due to the solubility of the CO.

As someone here said, it's a matter of preference. I have been making salt bars 8+ years and I love Shea Butter in my salt bars. I don't sell them. They are just for me. I don't use Shea Butter in the salt bars I sell, too expensive. I would never use 10% Castor Oil in any recipe. Castor doesn't make bubbles, it sustains them and the coconut is enough for a large fluffy lather. I use Castor Oil at 5% when using it. I also prefer using a loaf mold and cutting while still warm, about 3 hours later.

cool I'll definitely try that one!

No, using butter in it. I use 50% salt myself. I’ve been making them for 9-10 years now. My personal favorite.
I bought a hand salt bar that was Coconut Oil, Shea butter & Pink Himalayan salt - I really like it but can't seem to make one similar - maybe I have to cure for longer.

I have used pink Himalayan salt in salt bars and will never do it again. They can literally cut you.
LOL...wish I would have read this a couple days ago...I made a salt bar with 1/2 table salt and 1/2 pink Himalayan salt. Oh well! I wont know how dangerous the bars are until next year!

LOL...wish I would have read this a couple days ago...I made a salt bar with 1/2 table salt and 1/2 pink Himalayan salt. Oh well! I wont know how dangerous the bars are until next year!
I use the finely ground Pink Himalayan salt from Costco, and have had no problems with it in my salt bars. So I think it depends on whether you used a fine or coarse blend.

I use the finely ground Pink Himalayan salt from Costco, and have had no problems with it in my salt bars. So I think it depends on whether you used a fine or coarse blend.
It was pretty finely ground. I just wanted to use it up. I think I got it a while back for a homemade toothpaste recipe, but I can't remember! The soap didn't hurt me when I washed with the scrapes after cleaning the bars up, so fingers crossed!

I personally think it has more to do with the salt itself. The one I used was fine. It seems that some people experience the scratchiness and others say theirs are fine. I had one girl tell me they were supposed to be that scratchy and you had to use a loofah with them:rolleyes: like I was the one that was an idiot for not knowing that. I have also read the even if you grind Himalayan down into a fine powder, it is still sharp. Who knows? I know what I experienced and because of that I will use regular sea salt.

Nope, not really. The problem with Himalayan is it usually contains clay which is hard and does not dissolve. I always use fine Pacific Sea Salt and once I bought some from Winco which I have purchased before, it was so prickly I could not sell the bars and I made two batches. We had 28 bars of prickly salt bars to use up. It was the last time I use Winco Pacific Sea Salt fine or not. I went back to my San Francisco Sea Salt.

Makes me wonder if the fine-ground Himalayan Salt from Costco is the real deal, or something else that is labeled as Himalayan. Because It definitely isn't scratchy at all. Costco usually pretty good about avoiding fraudulent products, but it could happen. It's this one.

Latest posts

Back