Salt Bars and FO amt

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does anyone adjust the amount of FO they usually use w/salt bars? Ie; using soap calc will give you an FO % based on your desired usage ppo. Since the amount of salt in salt bars will, in some cases, double the volume of the batch, do you increase the amount of FO to account for that?

That's a good question! I've personally never adjusted mine, but then again, I mostly use Daystar's Salty Sailor for my salt bars, which is a strong FO for me. It sticks around in my soap even when used as low as .3 ounces ppo.

IrishLass :)

Thank, IL, will stick w/my usual amount which is pretty high anyway. I was wondering b/c I was adjusting amts for my normal additives, eg the EDTA which (as you know :) is based on total batch weight was much higher and it made me think of the other stuff.

I ordered Salty Sailor and Black Vetyver Cafe, among others, from DS and was really looking forward to using them. But must have gotten a bad batch, there was v. little fragrance even right after the pour, and now (I think a mo. later) it is all gone. I know from all the reviews I have read that this is an anomaly, everyone raves about them both. I am tempted to order again, but it was expensive the first time round.

I love salt bars and have found that with some fo I use it at 1 oz Ppo. I find that a lot of times it's just not strong enough with my regular usage rates I use in my regular cp recipes. It of course varies with really strong scents.

Funny I never change the amt to accommodate the salt, and they smell fine. Maybe the salt holds the scent well?

I have never adjusted the amount, but usually use only 50% salt. The fragrances typically stick fine for me.

I think all of you are right. Did a couple of batches in the last couple of days using the regular amt of FO (but that is a lot, generally .7 - 9 ppo unless that exceeds mftr/IFRA max) and they are just as strong as always, although I will check again monthly out of curiousity. Wonder if there is something in the salt that acts as an enhancer/fixative.

Last edited:
I generally use .50 oz PPO, just like with my regular bars. The scent generally holds well for me but some fade a bit with a really long cure. Since I do cure my salt bars for a long time, I've started to use .75-1 oz PPO.

I age salt bars for a min of 6 months up to a year before taking them to market, and find some fo's will fade to just a salty scent with a hint of fragrance. You simply have to know your fragrance. I have one fragrance I use at 9 percent.

I age salt bars for a min of 6 months up to a year before taking them to market, and find some fo's will fade to just a salty scent with a hint of fragrance. You simply have to know your fragrance. I have one fragrance I use at 9 percent.

What is the benefit of a 6-12 month cure for salt bars? I usually cure mine 3-4 months so I guess that's not quite long enough? My recipe is 80% CO, 15% OO, 5% Castor, 50% salt, 20% SF (pretty basic salt soap recipe).

I too age mine a long time. I love them at 6 months plus as well. However minimum is 4 months. I personally find they are harder, milder and have a fantastic thick creamy lather after a long cure. They seem to get better with age.

I use 1 oz for a 4 lb loft EO blend, how funny though b/c my aroma is strong and not by my nose. People come up to my booth and tell me they can smell it before they get to my tables. Interesting.

I do the same amount for the scent as I would with a regular bar.. no more or less. My salt amount is 75% between two kinds, sea and dentritic, and scents hold fine almost better I think for some. Like my mandarin plum is a lot stronger in my salt than my regular bars and I do let my salt age longer.. 3+ months minimum.

Back