Salt Bar

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rusti

Reaction score
I made my first loaf of salt soap today. I just took it outside in the cold for cracking - I think its trying to gel, so I'm keeping an eye on it. It needs to get on with it if it is so I can get it cut!

I did 46% salt because I wasn't sure what my 10 inch mold would hold, but now I know I probably could have done 100% and it'd have been fine.

LOL, I probably should have cut them an hour ago at least. Crumbly.

Oh well. First salt bar and it's not going anyplace outside of family anyway, so it's a learning curve!

I cut my salt bars which are 100% salt within 45 min. They will still be very very warm to the touch. I also recommend using gloves when cutting since there is still active lye. LOL, which of course I do not do....:headbanging:

Oh, I totally didn't use gloves either! I like to live dangerously!

Oh, pictures?

I made my first salt bars last week, can't wait to try them and see if they are as nice as everybody say!

I poured the soap batter in four different single cavity moulds and than mixed in the salt separately at different % in each mould. Faster and cheaper than making a whole loaf of each :mrgreen:

Sure!

The loaf itself - probably the point at which I really ought to have gone cutting it, honestly. But I waited a bit longer.
17309825_10211836736890792_1010034812091728819_n.jpg

The cut bars. Not horrible, I don't guess, but they won't win any sleek soap beauty pageants.
17309633_10211837568871591_3846520602262824081_n.jpg

Well, at least you know better next time you make salt bars, it's part of the learning. Mine arent better. I also kind of like the crumbles, looks more alive and interesting.

Well, at least you know better next time you make salt bars, it's part of the learning. Mine arent better. I also kind of like the crumbles, looks more alive and interesting.

I just picked some of the better ones. About half are missing enough of a bottom long side corner that they lean like they need a can of V8. But yes, I fully expected this attempt to be part of a pretty steep learning curve, so I'm OK with it. I mean, it's not like I have to waste the batch or anything, which would irritate and annoy.

I do salt bars at 100% and a high SF.
I can get a swirl if I pay attention.
Also the "early" cutting is a must. Unless you're going to cut the bars with a hacksaw.
I made the mistake of waiting on my first try too. It must be just a part of the dreaded learning curve.

I do salt bars at 100% and a high SF.
I can get a swirl if I pay attention.
Also the "early" cutting is a must. Unless you're going to cut the bars with a hacksaw.
I made the mistake of waiting on my first try too. It must be just a part of the dreaded learning curve.

Yup, I think the timing for cutting is just a thing you have to pick up on. I had plenty of time to do a simple sort of swirl if I had wanted to, but I abstained from color this time. I wasn't sure about how much time I would have to get it in the mold, so it's just scented (Rustic Escentuals' White jasmine).

Latest posts

Back