Salt bar without CO or PO

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carolincanada

Reaction score
Has anyone done salt bars without CO or PO and if so how did it turn out. I've read that you need CO to have lather. I don't have any CO right now but I would really like to make some salt bars. I was also wondering if anyone's done CPHP with the salt bars and if so when would you add the salt. Thanks

The thing about salt is that it is a major lather killer, and so that is why CO or PKO (very high lathering oils) are used to make salt bars. PO (palm oil), as opposed to PKO (palm kernel oil), makes very little to no lather, so it's not a very good candidate for salt bars. Of course, you can certainly make salt bars out of any oil you want, but the lathering results will differ dramatically depending on which oils you use. I've only ever used 100% CO for my salt bars and I get good lather.

Re: CPHP- If you mean making a CP recipe as you would normally do, pouring into a mold, and then sticking it in a hot (170 degreeF) oven to force gel, then yes- that's the way I make them. :) I add my salt at medium-thick trace right before I pour into my mold.

HTH!
IrishLass :)

i have made CPHP salt bars and added the salt at the end of my cook before i molded. i added way too much salt for my preferences (about 80%) i used 100% CO

Thanks, for the info, What % salt would you recommend and did what was your water and superfat %?

I recommend 50% - 80% salt in 80% -100% coconut oil soap

Superfatted at 10% - 20%.

I use 30% salt as per oil amount, full water (which I sub out with coconut milk or goat milk), and a 13% superfat.

IrishLass :)

carebear said:
I recommend 50% - 80% salt in 80% -100% coconut oil soap

Superfatted at 10% - 20%.

Can I ask the result of using 50% salt? I assume lots more bubbles, but does it still behave and feel the same? I have only used 80% salt - I loved it so much the first time that I never tried changing it.

If I say it's just like the 80% soap but 100% better, it won't make sense.

But it's true all the same.

I'll have to try it. Thanks for the lead. I get tan colored moisture droplets easily living in Florida (the tan color makes me wonder just how filthy the air here is) - I would think 50% salt would cut back on that. Plus, I only make them in individual molds because I found slicing them at that perfect moment was very hard for me - I'd think less salt gives you a little more elbow room as it gels.

Back