Salt Bar Try #3

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whitewitchbeauty

Reaction score
They say third times the charm, let's keep our fingers crossed that I got it right this time. I pasted my recipe below and a photo of my globs. Don't bring up the color, I don't want to talk about it LOL! ImageUploadedBySoap Making1448311969.851058.jpgImageUploadedBySoap Making1448311979.405426.jpg

I think you'll like them a lot - just give them a couple of months to cure. Salt bars really benefit from extended curing times.

The color just looks like sand. You made beach bars. :D

I think you will really like that recipe, it's pretty much what. I use, only 15% OO and 5% castor, and I'm not convinced the castor is adding much with all that coconut. What scent did you use?

They havent, yet

I kept this batch unscented. I made this for a few friends that suffer from eczema and/or psoriasis.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh! I'd like to hear how your friends do with the salt bars. My mom was recently diagnosed with psoriasis. Some of my reading has suggested that carrot soap helps relieve the symptoms... so now my little brain is wondering what would a carrot salt bar do...? I have a carrot bar on the cure rack for good ol' ma, will see how she does with that one. I might attempt another salt bar for the carrot experiment.

I actually think the color is cool! When they are done curing you could wrap them in something beachy themed type of wrapping? And/or add some shells to hang around a string or something. It will totally come together.
Haven`t made saltbars yet, want to try it out, i have skinissues too, it is a pain so saltbars sounds cool. Good luck!:thumbup:

Question about the salt bars, I've never made them myself. You need a high superfat and long cure time - do you need to add any sort of preservatives to your soap to counteract the superfat and give yourself time? Or does the salt make it more stable?

The thing about salt bars is that you need a LOT of coconut oil to counteract the lather killing properties of salt, and because the CO is so high, you also need a high superfat to counteract the drying properties. Its a balancing act that when it comes together is wonderful. Check out the posts linked at the bottom of this page, or do a search for salt bars to learn more.

I've never heard of a salt bar needing preservatives - maybe the salt does help. However they can sweat if they are in humid conditions.

Back