Salt Bar Try #3

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

snappyllama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you'll like them a lot - just give them a couple of months to cure. Salt bars really benefit from extended curing times.

The color just looks like sand. You made beach bars. :D

luebella

Reaction score
I like the color! It reminds me of. Beach sand also

Obsidian

Reaction score
Thats my favorite salt bar recipe, you should love it. If, after a 8 week cure they seem harsh, try curing for another 8 weeks. I like my salt bars to cure for a minimum of 4 months.

CaraBou

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
By the time you experience these bars in the shower, you love their color too. Mark my words!

Seawolfe

Reaction score
I think you will really like that recipe, it's pretty much what. I use, only 15% OO and 5% castor, and I'm not convinced the castor is adding much with all that coconut. What scent did you use?

mymy

Reaction score
hello wwb, i wonder if your bars sweat a lot?

whitewitchbeauty

Reaction score
They havent, yet

I kept this batch unscented. I made this for a few friends that suffer from eczema and/or psoriasis.

Last edited by a moderator:

amd

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh! I'd like to hear how your friends do with the salt bars. My mom was recently diagnosed with psoriasis. Some of my reading has suggested that carrot soap helps relieve the symptoms... so now my little brain is wondering what would a carrot salt bar do...? I have a carrot bar on the cure rack for good ol' ma, will see how she does with that one. I might attempt another salt bar for the carrot experiment.

MySoapyHeart

Bee Happy
Reaction score
I actually think the color is cool! When they are done curing you could wrap them in something beachy themed type of wrapping? And/or add some shells to hang around a string or something. It will totally come together.
Haven`t made saltbars yet, want to try it out, i have skinissues too, it is a pain so saltbars sounds cool. Good luck!:thumbup:

Wildcraft_Garden

Reaction score
Question about the salt bars, I've never made them myself. You need a high superfat and long cure time - do you need to add any sort of preservatives to your soap to counteract the superfat and give yourself time? Or does the salt make it more stable?

Seawolfe

Reaction score
The thing about salt bars is that you need a LOT of coconut oil to counteract the lather killing properties of salt, and because the CO is so high, you also need a high superfat to counteract the drying properties. Its a balancing act that when it comes together is wonderful. Check out the posts linked at the bottom of this page, or do a search for salt bars to learn more.

I've never heard of a salt bar needing preservatives - maybe the salt does help. However they can sweat if they are in humid conditions.

Latest posts