Salt bar - swirly

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was saying to The Admirable Lady today, I don't know why the only bar that I regular colour and swirl is a salt bar, where one has precious little time to do anything! Still, we will see how it looks later. Using a new 'nautic' scent which is nice and fresh - fitting for a salt bar!

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1447519495.736782.jpg

just made my first batch of salt bars that i swirled too. however, i used individual molds so i didn't have to worry about timing and cutting. Please post pics of them cut! I'd love to see the inside. I bet they smell amazing!

Here are two bars -

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1447697610.831250.jpg

I used too much salt (2.23kg oils, 1.99kg salt rather than 1.80kg!) and went with 2.5:1 water. I also used different salt than I normally use and the batter was a bit grainy, not as I usually remember it.

Then when I cut, there was a distinct grainy feel to it. Then it wept (like a discarded, non-stainless utensil) and ended up drying out as soda ash in amongst the graininess.

Still, no zap and smells nice and fresh. Actually gave an end bit a go and the hands feel okay. There was no larger at all, so I think time will be my friend here.

Those turned out lovely! I like swirly salt bars too. Though I have found that I need to make my colors a bit stronger or they are too soft with the salt. I also find that if I don't cover my salt bars tightly after unmolding or cutting that they tend to ash up more than my other soaps. I've had really heavy ash on my salt bars before.

Dang! Salt bar in log molds + swirl. Nice job!

Back