Salt bar sweating...what went wrong?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deola

Reaction score
I made my very first salt bars about 4weeks ago, it looks perfect when I unmold it about 5hrs after. It's a georgous soap. After a week, I observe that the soap has something like sweat all over it. I washed it off, it came out again after some days. Even after 4 weeks, I still have the sweat on it.

90% Coconut oil
10% Castor oil
75% salt (coarse sea salt and table salt)
15% sf

It feels great, just the sweat

Mine sweated for about 3-4 months, if I recall correctly. I live in a humid environment, and salt attracts moisture. I did not give any of it away until it stopped, though. My son, who lives in New Orleans, just requested I bring him more salt bars when I visit in July. I warned him about the sweating because he is sure to have sweating soap.

My salt bars were made in the dry winter air. Spring has come and with it the humidity and now they sweat. I turned the ceiling fan in the curing room on low and leave it run during daylight hours everyday and it has seemed to help a lot.

Oh my, don't use coarse salt in a salt bar, it can really cut the skin. Even though you mention it feels good, be very careful with it. Only fine or extra fine salt should be used in salt bars. During humid times salt bars can sweat. For that matter any soap can sweat during humid weather because glycerin is a humectant. Salt bars benefit from a 3-6 month cure time.

Last edited:
Back