salt bar recipes

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chlobue

Reaction score
Hey!! All this talk about salt bars makes me want to try them. Anyone have a recipe they would share??? I'm a newbie!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Flyn, I bet you did find using Olive in there at 15% would be drying. I use 18% shea butter or lately a combo of shea and kpaingan butter, and 7% Castor Oil. Those butters have a high percentage of unsaponifiables in them, making for a more conditioning salt bar. I take a 6 or 7% SF and use goat milk to help with skin sensitivity of the higher percentage of coconut oil.

Paul... :wink:

Until I heard the "why" behind using shea, I wondered the same thing. :? Just passing along learned info. :)

Paul.... :wink:

I made a batch of salt bars tonight and here are oils

24 oz. coconut oil
38 oz. vegetable shortening
24 oz. olive oil (added after melting the above)
28 oz. goats milk
12 ounces lye crystals

I was going to put 80 oz of salt in it but when I started pouring the salt it just didn't look like it would take that much so I ended up putting probably 30 - 40 oz of salt.

It looks very grainy. I added it at trace. What do you think. It's not harding very fast.

Help

jackie

*bump*

I just started reading this thread and another thread on salt bars and they got my interest.

What are the benefits to using them?

Is there a specific recipe to use or do you sorta use one of your favorites and add a whole bunch of salt to them?

I don't like table salt because it's to drying to the skin, but maybe ground epsom salt, sea salt or dead sea salt....

I'd like to learn a little more on making these....

they sure look interesting...

Epsom salt won't work well because it is actually not salt. I've a salt recipe posted on the site calling for Morton's Kosher salt. I ground it down fine and it works great. It's a nice scrubby bar.

WhiteLyeSoapCo can you PM me the link to your recipe?

thanks for the heads up on the epsom salts....

is this sorta like a pumice stone? Well different of course but as far as abrasion goes?

I just posted a recipe to my recent (yesterday) made salt bars in the "project" section.

http://soapmakingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2094

It is a great recipe. I've been making them about a year now and love them and they sell great at my Etsy store.
The benefits are salt is a natural anti-fungal and antiseptic to the skin. With my recipe, since I use Shea and the more expensive Kpaingan Butters from Africa, the bar is not drying at all. Trust me and several on here who just got mine in the recent swap. Several here have bought mine to use on problem areas f the skin. I don't and won't promise anything, can't, but try it for yourself and see if you like it.

Paul... :wink:

Hi Paul,
Just bought one tonight- can't wait to try it! I got the bar with the cream- yeah!! Just what I need more soap! :)
What problem areas can you use it for- acne, heels, etc..I know you don't promise anything but I'm trying!
Thanks!

Back