Salt Bar Recipe

Discussion in 'Recipe Feedback' started by Johnray, Jun 7, 2019.

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating:

1. Jun 7, 2019 #1

Johnray

Johnray

Johnray

I am now looking to try my hands at making a salt bar and I have this formula I plan to follow.
    Hoping to get feedback from successful salt bar makers!

Superfatting at 10% (Because that is the highest superfatting % in brambleberry)

70% Coconut oil
    20% Olive Oil
    5% Shea Butter
    5% Castor Oil

And according to BB calculator
    104 grams NaOH
    231 grams H20

All feedback on how to make it better welcome! I am also planning to scent it with a mixture of lime and lavender.

2. Jun 7, 2019 #2

SoapSisters

SoapSisters

SoapSisters

3. Jun 7, 2019 #3

Obsidian

Obsidian

Obsidian

I make a lot of salt bars. You want to ditch the shea, butters aren't nice at all in them. All you really need is 80% coconut and 20% olive.
    Castor isn't necessary in my opinion, there is enough coconut to support a lot of lather. If you want castor, you can use up to 10%, just reduce the olive.
    Definitely use a different calculator, you want the sf at 20%

If you have cavity molds, use those. Salt nars are tricky to cut. If you do have to cut them, watch the soap like a hawk and cut as soon as possible. Usually ready within 3 hours.

Wear gloves when you cut, the soap will still be caustic and probably very warm. They need a good long cure, at least 4 months but a year is even better.

KiwiSoap and Misschief like this.
  4. Jun 7, 2019 #4

KiwiMoose

KiwiMoose

KiwiMoose

My recipe was similar. I didn't use Shea because I thought it might inhibit lather (salt already does that so it doesn't need any help). For the same reason I used less OO but added some RBO instead ( much cheaper too!)
    My superfat was 15%
    I used 50% of the weight of the oils in fine sea salt - added after light trace.
    Recommend you use cavity moulds because it is very hard to cut.

LOL @Obsidian - SNAP!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2019
  5. Jun 7, 2019 #5

shunt2011

shunt2011

shunt2011

Staff Member Admin

I use 80% CO, 15% Avocado and 5% Castor. I do an 18% SF and 50% salt. I love my salt bars.

6. Jun 7, 2019 #6

SoapSisters

SoapSisters

SoapSisters

Any recommendations for EOs that go well with the salt bar vibe?

7. Jun 7, 2019 #7

Johnray

Johnray

Johnray

Tried it and it is a lot easier to use than brambleberry, it also give you a 'report' on what the bar would be like after you unmould it!

However, as I am still new to soaping, should i just leae the naoh:water ratio as 2:1 which is the default?

I will take your advice and try the 80/20 out! Yes i do have cavity moulds, i use them to have honey bars with bubble wrap at the bottom to get the honeycomb like texture!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2019
  8. Jun 7, 2019 #8

Obsidian

Obsidian

Obsidian

I use a 2:1 ratio for my water and lye, it works just fine. Don't try any fancy swirls this time, just do one color and mix it into your oils before the lye, add your scent at the same time.
    I don't use EOs, they just don't stick well for me so I can't recommend any beyond lemongrass.

With the high amount of coconut and the salt, these can move pretty fast. Once you get med trace, mix your salt in by hand and pour immediately.
    If your batter is too thin, the salt will sink.

9. Jun 7, 2019 #9

cmzaha

cmzaha

cmzaha

Supporting Member

My salt bars that I have been making since I first started soaping are 85% CO/PKO split or all Coconut Oil, 10% Castor and 5% SAO or Sunflower Oil. If I remember this is my original recipe, but have tried many combinations and always fall back to this one. I am using 100% salt to oil which is why I go with the higher CO. I have tried Palm, Shea, Lard etc to add to the longevity but none were as nice a salt bar. My superfat is 17% with a 1 year cure

10. Jun 7, 2019 #10

HowieRoll

HowieRoll

HowieRoll

I have 2 tried and tested EO blends that I use exclusively for salt bars because, well, I used these blends early on with my first salt bars and I'm somewhat a creature of habit so now I associate these blends only with salt bars. :rolleyes: But the scent sticks like glue. In fact, I was recently using a floral scented salt bar made in October 2017 and loving how much it was still scented.

Floral Scent:
    42% Bergamot - bergaptene free
    27% Lavender
    16% Ylang Ylang
    8% Rosemary
    7% Geranium

Minty-Fresh Scent:
    30% Eucalyptus
    30% Peppermint
    20% Lavender
    20% Rosemary

11. Jun 7, 2019 #11

DeeAnna

DeeAnna

DeeAnna

I definitely recommend a superfat higher than 10% for this type of recipe. I made 80% coconut, 20% avocado with 15% superfat late last December. The soap is just now becoming mellow enough for regular summer use, but it would be too drying for winter use. Next time I make this type of recipe, I think I'll bump the SF a bit higher to 17% and see if that makes a difference.

12. Jun 8, 2019 #12

JasmineTea

JasmineTea

JasmineTea

Supporting Member

My recipe is almost identical to @shunt2011's. I use cavity molds and spray the tops with isopropyl alcohol at least once, several times if I remember, to help reduce soda ash.

I made my first bars a year ago, but didn't want to overdo it, in case I didn't like them. Well! I definitely liked them, and wish I would've made more last year. I've been making lots since January so that they can cure and I can have enough all next year.

13. Jun 8, 2019 #13

KiwiSoap

KiwiSoap

KiwiSoap

Supporting Member

I plan to make another batch of salt bars tomorrow to be ready for our summer so this is timely information, thank you all!

14. Jun 9, 2019 #14

Jeboz

Jeboz

Jeboz

Supporting Member

I second that! Bought me some cheap fine pink Himalayan salt at TKMaxx. Might just give it a bit more of a blend before using. Those EO blends sound interesting as well :thumbs:

Nanette likes this.
  15. Jun 9, 2019 #15

KiwiSoap

KiwiSoap

KiwiSoap

Supporting Member

Hallo @Jeboz, just giving a heads up to NOT blend the salt for use in salt bars, other forum users have reported:
    There are also mixed reports on the forums about the use of pink Himalayan salt in salt bars, the preference seems to be to use them in brine bars (dissolved in the lye).

Perhaps I misunderstood your intentions but wouldn't want you to make an ouchie! Happy soaping!

Nanette likes this.
  16. Jun 9, 2019 #16

Jeboz

Jeboz

Jeboz

Supporting Member

:confused: That doesn't sound good! It's already fine grained but I was thinking of making it finer - maybe I'll use it as is instead!

17. Jun 9, 2019 #17

Obsidian

Obsidian

Obsidian

Yes, do not ever try to grind salt. I'm one who has experienced cuts from trying that.

Other members have reported Himalayan salt is scratchy, even the really fine kind. I've personally never used it.
    I get plain sea salt at the dollar store or use canning salt. You don't have to use fancy salt, just something without any additives.

18. Jun 21, 2019 #18

Mobjack Bay

Mobjack Bay

Mobjack Bay

Supporting Member

I was just about to start a thread with some questions on salt bars and then I found this one. Thanks everyone for the great information :thumbs:

@shunt2011 I’m sold on your recipe as a place to start. Thank you for sharing it!

I think I read in another thread that soaping around 90F is good for a salt bar with a lot of coconut oil. I didn’t even consider the sinking salt issue (thanks @Obsidian). I usually use 33% lye concentration. Do the temp and lye concentration sound reasonable for making a salt bar? Oh, and I’m planning to put these into individual cavity molds.

Thanks for any help with these questions!

shunt2011 likes this.
  19. Jun 21, 2019 #19

dibbles

dibbles

dibbles

Supporting Member Supporting Member

90 should be fine for a starting temp. I use the same recipe as shunt2011, and after trying many combinations it is my favorite. Also, individual cavity molds are the way to go IMO.

Nanette and Mobjack Bay like this.
  20. Jun 21, 2019 #20

amd

amd

amd

Supporting Member

I do Shunt's recipe as well (although I skip the castor and bump up the Avo to 20%, and only use 30% salt). I believe Shunt also uses 50/50 coconut milk and aloe vera juice (which is also what I do).

shunt2011, Mobjack Bay and DeeAnna like this.