Salt Bar Recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Angezzz

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I have only tried to make salt bars once, which was a fail because I used Dead Sea Salt and it turned out pitted and gross. I want to try a small batch again and I found a recipe that some say worked well for them. It's a little out of my comfort zone when the SoapCalc shows up with crazy numbers so I am asking your advice on this recipe....I am very open to other salt bar recipes you have found work well.

Coconut Oil 25 oz
Olive Oil 5 oz
Shea Butter 3 oz
Castor Oil 3 oz
lye 5.2 oz
Water 10.6 oz
Table Salt 13 oz
Fragrance 1.5 oz

Thanks!

Personally, I would drop the Shea butter and add it to the castor. Shea would cut the Lather. I use 80-85% CO the rest olive or I prefer Avocado and 5% castor. Salt soap needs high CO and a high SF. I've seen 13-20% depending on your liquid used with the lye. Salt usage I've seen 25-100%.

Everyone's preferences are different though so give it a try and see how you like it. Just remember they are better with a good long cure. I love salt bars.

Last edited:
Does this follow yours a bit better?

Coconut 25.60 oz (80%)
Olive 3.2 oz (10%)
Castor 3.2 oz (10%)
Water 12.16 oz
Lye 4.7 oz
Himalayan Sea Salt (instead of table) 8 oz (25% of oils)
FO 1 oz

15% SF

Nooooo! No CPOP. Trust me. Despite numerous places on the webz that tell you to do it, mine turned into a disaster. Please save yourself the bit of heartache that I went through :) there is a picture of mine in the troubleshooting thread.

Also, I started with Shunt's recipe and it is lovely. I have completely dropped the castor out of mine. My fiancee is very happy with his salt bars at 8 week cure, but I am sensitive to lauric acid and found that I don't appreciate them until a year or more.

I've only made one batch of salt bars, but I have made a number of batches of regular soap using 70% to 100% coconut oil. AMD is spot-on right -- you don't need to add extra heat. The coconut oil saponifies fast and hot all on its own without any encouragement.

Hello Everyone,

....I am very open to other salt bar recipes you have found work well.

This is the one that works for me:

100% coconut oil
100% coconut milk as my water amount (using the 'split method' of milk soaping)
25% fine sea salt ppo
13% superfat

IrishLass :)

Latest posts

Back