Salt Bar recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sethkaylyn

Reaction score
I will attempt to make a batch of salt bars. I have a 2pd silicone mold that I use. My basic cp recipe has 28 oz of oils and I'm afraid once I add the salt it may be too much for the mold. Please let me know what you guys think about this recipe. I've been researching older posts and so confused about how much salt to use and how much to SF. I will probably use table salt as some say it's a good salt to use. I have an attachment of my recipe. I hope you can see it.

Thanks, Tina
ImageUploadedBySoap Making1478205226.799493.jpg

Your recipe looks fine. I SF at 18% but use coconut milk so it ups the SF some. How much salt you use is totally up to you. I use 35-40% salt. Some use 100%. I've not used table salt as I've been concerned with the iodine. I use sea salt. You can get it at your local grocery store in with regular salt. Others have also used canning salt. I don't reduce my recipe for the salt. I just keep some individual molds just in case it's too much. I keep those for myself.

Thanks shunt2011!
I'm a bit confused how to figure out how much salt to use. If I decide to use 50% of salt in my traditional recipe I posted, how much salt would I use. I'm not the best at figuring these things out. Lol
I wish it was on the soap calculator

We like 100% salt and I prefer 10 castor in salt bars. My normal recipe takes 61 oz oils, when making salt bars I times the 61 oz by .9. So I use 55 oz oils with 100% salt. I superfat 15-17% depending if I use coconut milk in the recipe. I up my fragrance to 7-7.5%, since I find salt is quite hard on the fragrance. When making them just have an extra mold to pour any extra in until you find out just how much in oil you need for a batch

I was successful with my first salt bars! Yay!
I did have to cut them soon though. Roughly 2 hours after i poured the batter in the mold. Btw...I used pickling salt.
I'll have to soap a little cooler next time. The top had a small crack that formed but the bars stayed together.
Thanks again!

Back