Salt Bar recipe check!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm sure everyone is sick of the salt bar posts so please bare with me! I've read a lot of recipe suggestions and I think I've settled on a recipe for my first salt bar. Could someone take a quick look to make sure everything seems good?

Salt Bar Recipe
80% Coconut Oil
15% Olive Oil
5% Castor Oil

20% Superfat
29% Lye Concentration

Additives:
55.3% Fine Sea Salt

After running through SoapCalc with mold size (68oz)

Water = 10.85 oz
Lye = 4.43 oz
Oils = 32 oz

(Coconut Oil = 25.6 oz)
(Olive Oil = 4.8 oz)
(Castor Oil = 1.6 oz)

17.72 oz Fine Sea Salt
1.5 oz BB Yuzu FO
1.5 oz BB Kumquat FO

TOTAL = 68oz

Thank you! :)

Last edited:
I wouldn't change the amounts too much for a salt bar, especially at only 50% salt. Have a few smaller moulds on hand just in case, but the batter won't be 50% larger in volume than usual even with 50% salt added in.

Edited to add, I imagine it will smell gorgeous!

I wouldn't change the amounts too much for a salt bar, especially at only 50% salt. Have a few smaller moulds on hand just in case, but the batter won't be 50% larger in volume than usual even with 50% salt added in.

Edited to add, I imagine it will smell gorgeous!

Thank you, I've been having difficulty trying to figure out how much salt to add to fill my molds. I have 3 6-cavity molds I'm planning to use, the total they can hold is 68oz. Is there a way to reliably figure out how much salt I'd need to fill close to 68oz? Math has never been my strong point!

I ordered the Yuzu and Kumquat on recommendation from the lovely folks here, I'm so excited to smell them!

Its hard to figure volume when mixing salt and soap - I just do my recipe with oils /water/ lye to fill the mold I want, and have some spares lying around - woot free soap!

Its hard to figure volume when mixing salt and soap - I just do my recipe with oils /water/ lye to fill the mold I want, and have some spares lying around - woot free soap!

Good plan! Maybe I'll try the recipe as-is and see how many bars I get out of it. Then if I end up liking the formula I'll have a better idea of how much to make for the next batch.

Latest posts

Back