Salt bar questions

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would the rest of your recipe be coconut? Because as you know, salt kills lather, so you need a high percentage of Coconut oil.
I was thinking maybe 15-20% tallow. My skin loves tallow and I use it in everything usually. The salt bars I’ve made are the only thing I haven’t tried it in.

I made a HP salt bar that I found online and both me and hubby really like it after 6wk cure. This was my first salt bar to make (and first HP soap) and I have never used a salt bar before this, so I'm not a good judge of whether it is actually a good one or not. I just know that we like it, lol! I may change my opinion after trying others. Anyway, this is the recipe I used. It was written in ounces and I have not spent the time to convert it to percentages, so I apologize for that.

13oz coconut milk (9oz frozen for lye, 4 oz added after cook)
5.25 NaOH
28oz Coconut oil
7oz Olive Oil
16oz Fine Sea Salt (I used fine Pink Himalayan)

The frozen milk is used to make lye solution. Then everything is cooked in the crockpot in HP fashion. After the cook, add EO to salt if using any the add salt to the soap. Mix quickly as it will set up fast. Then mix in the 4oz Coconut Milk and get into mold(s).

I used a loaf mold. I cut after 1 hour as the recipe said any longer would make it too hard to cut. It was a tad crumbly on top which I expected. The recipe stated it only needed a 3 day cure. After doing a little reading on HP and cure times I waited 6 weeks to use. We get great lather at this point, but I am really interested in how it will be after a longer time after what I have read here. I'm new to soaping so I'm sure that with time and experience I'll produce even better salt bars.

Back