Salt bar questions

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have always used individual cavity molds for salt bars, and always got thick ash. When I dropped the salt to 50% is when I noticed a big reduction in the amount of ash I have on them. I have to force gel in the cavity molds unlike those that use a loaf.
I'll be sure to put them in the oven to hopefully reduce the ash some. thanks!

I'm like @cmzaha, I like vinegar in my soaps, too. The lather has a softer feel to me, and I do like that they harden faster. I use a low amount of SL as well, and can usually unmold in 12-18 hours despite low coconut and usually no palm.

They are pretty much a one size fits all type bar. I have dry skin too and like salt bars a lot. They are a little much in the winter so I just use some lotion if needed.

Your coconut, avocado and castor sounds like a good recipe. 18- 20% superfat.
I like 35% salt, its a sweet spot for my water type.

You really don't need any additives to increase lather, the high coconut does just fine.

Make sure to use plain sea salt, not himalaya or dead sea.

I'm curious why you do not recommend the Himalayan salt. Thanks!

I'm curious why you do not recommend the Himalayan salt. Thanks!
The salt crystals are very sharp and can cut your skin.

I alternate between 100%CO and 80%CO+15%AvO+5%Castor recipe, both with 40% salt and 13% SF. I like both, and tend to go back and forth between which one is my favorite.
Good luck! Salt bars are so nice.

I soap with vinegar in all my soap batches to help harden them faster. You can search the forum how to use vinegar in soap. You have to use extra lye to react the vinegar so it forms sodium acetate.
I've been making soap with Vinegar for a very long time, I never knew you had to adjust the lye. All my soaps have turned out nicely...never had a problem. How would one adjust the lye?

How would one adjust the lye?
https://classicbells.com/soap/aceticAcid.asp
My recipe is almost the same as Shunt's - although I don't use castor - 80 CO / 20 AVO, and 30% salt. 50/50 CM. Although the last batch I made for my husband a little over a year ago I did do 50/50 CM/AVJ, and he said those have been the best so far. I am thinking that for the next batch for him I will try increasing the salt a bit more, just to see how he likes it. He has oily skin so his skin can do the extra salt I think. My skin is like the sahara desert, and I can only do salt bars after an extremely long cure (18+ months) and then only during really hot and humid weather, although I have had one exception, which was a 50/50 CM/pumpkin puree bar, that was 2 years old but I was able to use it in late fall with no issues. I should note that hubby did not like that bar as much as the regular bars, he said he didn't feel the same "clean" with it.

I did just finish up my first attempt at salt bars. I went with the 80 coconut, 15 avocado, 5 castor. 30% lye solution made of full goats milk. 18% superfat. I did add some citric acid and enough lye to account for it. I went with equal amounts of lemon, litsea and peppermint (omg it smells so good!!!) and 50% salt. I mixed a blue and green mica and added just a bit of chlorella to get what reminds me of an ocean colour. I love it! Most bars are in the oven but I left some out and covered them with a towel to see if there is any difference in how they look tomorrow. To me it seemed to go text book perfect so I think I should be happy with the outcome! Thanks for the help everyone! I am going to try some of the different variations when my newest supplies finally show up. :)

saltsoap2.jpg

Seriously in love so far! The idea that I can make a soap and unmold it in hours is so perfect for my impatient side. There will for sure be more of these bars in my future! I think that the colour is wonderful for the scent as well. So happy!!! :dance: Thanks again everyone.

They look great, congratulations. Salt bars are prone to developing more ash than other soap so don't worry if that happens.
I imagine that they will develop it as they cure, but they are so perfect right now that I had to take a picture while they were still without ash. Can you steam them down the line like you can a regular bar of soap to remove the ash? Or might the ash actually accentuate the look? There are times I actually think a little ash can contribute to the overall look.

I've been making soap with Vinegar for a very long time, I never knew you had to adjust the lye. All my soaps have turned out nicely...never had a problem. How would one adjust the lye?
If you do not adjust the lye you up your superfat. The adjustment for NaOH is 0.0357 x your total vinegar usage. Here is an article by DeeAnna to read about it. Soapy Stuff: Acetic acid (Vinegar)

I imagine that they will develop it as they cure, but they are so perfect right now that I had to take a picture while they were still without ash. Can you steam them down the line like you can a regular bar of soap to remove the ash? Or might the ash actually accentuate the look? There are times I actually think a little ash can contribute to the overall look.

Yeah, they can be steamed but I never bother. It comes off once you start using them.

Sometimes the ash gets really thick and you can actually roll it off. I'll do that before putting them in storage but that's as much effort as I'll put in.

@DKing those are lovely!
I made my first salt bar in April and have been impatiently waiting to try them. I used a 80% Coconut Oil and 20% Olive with a 20% SF and 20% salt. I can't wait to give them a try.

Latest posts

Back