salt bar questions...please!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heart of dixie soap co

Reaction score
i have a receipe for a 6 pound slab mold that i would like to add fine-grade dead sea salt. researching this i found that this is beneficial for skin problems like non-specific dermititus...exzema and psoriasis.

how much salt should i add?

how much soap do i not make? like if i add 1 pound of salt, does this displace 1 pound of soap?

is there a site to go to for more info?

thanks a bunch!

monet

heart of dixie soap co said:
i have a receipe for a 6 pound slab mold that i would like to add fine-grade dead sea salt. researching this i found that this is beneficial for skin problems like non-specific dermititus...exzema and psoriasis.

how much salt should i add?

how much soap do i not make? like if i add 1 pound of salt, does this displace 1 pound of soap?

is there a site to go to for more info?

thanks a bunch!
monet

You need to figure how much your mold usually holds.
If it does hold 6 pounds, you multiply .80 X's 6 pounds and come up with 4.8 pounds of oils. Take that number, 4.8 pounds, X's .8 again and to figure how much salt is needed. The answer is 3.8 pounds of salt.

Here it is again;

Mold uses 6 pounds of oils.
6 pounds X's .8 = 4.8 pounds of oils, or 76.8 ounces.
4.8 pounds of oils X's .8 = 3.84 pounds of salt or 61 ounces.

This will fill your mold to the normal height without being under or over.

Paul :wink:

salt bars

you're so smart and so patient! we're blessed to have you here!

one last question: (i think for now!) would it be better to pour into individual molds rather than try and cut this? i'm scary with a knife...also how long should i wait before cutting?

if only there were 8 days in a week! so many recipies, so little time...(sigh!)

thanks!

monet

Well, monet, in my log mold, it gets hot really fast. After about 1 to 1-1/4 hours after pouring, I remove from the log mold and cut it. It is still very hot to the touch. I now use my TOG Slab Mold with dividers to do my salt bars...no cutting needed.

Like these;

DSCF3530.jpg

Removed from mold;
DSCF3565.jpg

Paul :wink:

salt bars

sweet! thanks for the pic's! i love the swirls! i think i'll scale back and try a more manageable 2 pound batch.

i've heard of TOG molds thru this forum, had no clue what they were talking about.

you do nice work.

monet

salt bars

when you use your tog bar mold howw long before you can take them out? do they still cure 4-6 weeks, or do they need more time?

i think you need to host a summer seminar so we can all come see you make soap!

after that, maybe you'd get a break from all our endless questions!

monet

Re: salt bars

heart of dixie soap co said:
when you use your tog bar mold howw long before you can take them out? do they still cure 4-6 weeks, or do they need more time?

i think you need to host a summer seminar so we can all come see you make soap!

after that, maybe you'd get a break from all our endless questions!

monet

I can remove the bars within about 8 hours for regular CP, and within 1 to 1-1/2 hours for salt bars. It takes no longer to cure than normal. 4 weeks is plenty of time.

Here are a few other salt bars made in my TOG Slab Mold w/Dividers;

DSCF3527.jpg

DSCF3267-1.jpg

Paul

My first batch of salt soap I used individual milkyway molds for some of it and then a silicone muffin pan also. They worked great (the red silicone tinted my soap some, but it still looked ok). I put them in the freezer for a bit to make it easier to get them out. I think they worked rather well, but you'd need alot of individual molds depending on how big your batch is.
Here's a pic of how they turned out.
SaltSoap.jpg

Very nice....I have those same molds and the same silicone muffin pan. :)

I was so very proud of those soaps now they don't look so hot posted right under Paul's beauties....... :cry: I still have one left though, it's my favorite soap right now. I notice they are a bit crumbly looking now I remember that the silicone ones were filled first, then by the time I got to the other ones my batter had started to get very thick very fast and I had to literally take my rubber scraper and push it into the molds. It was Cactus and Sea Salt FO so the yellow tint I got from the red silicone mold worked out kinda nicely, gave it a 'desert' appeal. Sure would be nice to have one of those fancy molds so I didn't have to cut my soap though!

Awesome looking soapies, Paul, especially the second, 'colorful' ones....what fragrance are they?

Back