Salt Bar question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TurbidBlue

Reaction score
Hi!
I made my first batch of salt bars several weeks ago. They looked and smelled wonderful!! But when I tried a bar last night in the shower, I found tht it didn't lather much. Is this normal with salt bars?? I've never used on ebefore, so I have nothing to compare it to.

Thanks!
~Becky

Hi Becky!

It all depends on what oils you used. Whenever bunches of salt are added to a recipe, as in salt bars, it can really cut down on the lather. That's why so many people choose coconut oil as their oil of choice when making salt bars. Soaps made with 100% coconut oil (or PKO to a slightly lesser extent) are the best to use for salt bars, for they are famous for being able to lather in salt water. When fishermen need to bathe when out on the ocean, they like to use coconut oil soaps.

When I make salt bars, I use 100% coconut oil. I've tried making salt bars with 90% coconut or 80% coconut, along with other oils and butters to make up the difference, but those never lathered near as well as my 100% coconut oil salt bars. I also superfat my 100% coconut oil salt bars anywhere from 10% to 15%. They lather up great, and I've got hard water.

HTH! :)
IrishLass

Back