Salt bar question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ilovesoap

Reaction score
Making my first salt bar, should I expect gel? Does it need to gel. How long after gel before cutting? I know that it is not good to wait too long.

Thanks,
michele

Ilovesoap said:
Making my first salt bar, should I expect gel?

I always put mine through full gel.

Does it need to gel.

Nope.

How long after gel before cutting?

Depending on your recipe you can cut as soon as 3 hours.

I know that it is not good to wait too long.

IF you put it in the oven and it goes through gel....check it after an hour or so. If it is getting real hard try to cut it. I always cut mine when still warm. Good luck.

Thanks,
michele

Ilovesoap said:
Making my first salt bar, should I expect gel? Does it need to gel. How long after gel before cutting? I know that it is not good to wait too long.

Thanks,
michele

Mine always gel in my wood log or slab mold, covered with my wood lid. If you are using a log mold, I'd check after about 1-1/2 hours after pour. It needs to be very hot to the touch to get a good cut without getting crumbly edges. It will get hot very fast in the mold. Good luck on your first of many salt bars. :)

Paul

Thank you so much for your quick responses. I hope my salt bar will still turn out. I took it out of the mold (I thought it had gelled)it had been in the mold and insulated for some time and was very warm. I took it out of the mold thinking i needed to cut it since it was still sort of mushy I thought I would let it sit awhile longer and when I came back to check on it ,it seemed to be gelling. I put it back in the mold and wrapped it up. I am hoping it will finish it't gel okay. not sure> :cry: It was seeming like it was going to be such a success too!

Thanks so much!
Michele

Latest posts

Back