Salt Bar Question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

7053joanne

Reaction score
I want to make a second attempt at salt bars this weekend. My question is Do you have to put the soap in the oven after pouring for a couple of hours? Some people mention it and others don't.

And if you do have to put it in the oven....what types of molds are you all using?

THANKS!!!!

Joanne

You don't *have* to put it in the oven, no... Make sure that you cut the bars as soon as they're solid enough, though, so they don't crumble.

You can put pretty much any mold in the oven-- Wood is fine, wood lined with plastic bags is fine, silicone is fine, HDPE is fine.

If you're going to use the OP, make sure you keep the oven to less than 200 degrees-- if your oven doesn't have a setting less than that, put it on warm (mine doesn't even have warm!>!) and use a thermometer... :D

Joanne, salt really heats up the batch, it gets so hot, it is literally hard to touch. The temp in my molds, using salt, really gets super hot, too hot to put your fingers on but for a second. You need to cut as soon as you can, the soap will still be, and needs to be hot, or figure on getting a jack hammer to break it. :shock: :lol: A lot of my TOG customers like my slab mold with dividers when doing salt bars for that reason. :wink:

Paul

I'M SO EXCITED cause I got my TOG mold today Paul....it's beautiful!. Guess it will be much easier to make the salt bars in it. wish me luck soap buddies....i think I will need it! :wink:

Joanne

7053joanne said:
I'M SO EXCITED cause I got my TOG mold today Paul....it's beautiful!. Guess it will be much easier to make the salt bars in it. wish me luck soap buddies....i think I will need it! :wink:

Joanne

I'm glad it came in time. :lol: Thanks for the compliment, I appreciate that very much! 8) Best of luck and success! :wink: Show us the results Joanne!

Paul

Joanne, here is a picture of my personal 12/24 slab mold with a Black Raspberry Vanilla salt bar removed from 2 corners of the dividers;

blackraspberryvanilla011.jpg

beautiful

those are the most beautiful swirls ever!!

i use a large block mold and my swirls always sink to the bottom - how did you do that?!?!

Thanks. The consistency of the soap batter with the salt seems to help. I pour from a 2 quart pitcher, and need to pour from about 6 to 7 inches high to get it throughout the whole slab. I really like my TOG 12/24 bar slab mold with dividers for this application.

Here are 2 more salt bar slabs in this mold;
DSCF2405.jpg

DSCF2001.jpg

This is my best swirl ever, I feel It is regular CP, scented with Black Raspberry Vanilla/
DSCF0915.jpg

Burberry For Men;
DSCF0774.jpg

Paul :wink:

Niiiiccce swirling pics...that's what I hope to work on next.

That swirling really is a work of art.

Laurie

Latest posts

Back