Salt Bar Pictures!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ct anton...i had never heard of the company so I had to look them up.....gosh, have any of you tried the hawaiian red or black salts?!? They are lovely! Really curious how they behave in soap! I read someone was very disappointed in the dead sea salt.

Thanks CTAnton, I'll keep that in mind when I test them after curing. I expect salt scrubs in general to be harsher, and I have a couple friends interested that I will warn too. This isn't a sale batch or anything like that. It's a hey I wanted to try salt bars, lets give it a go! batch. I learn as I go, and this was a fun bar to make, I look forward to it curing.

When I was first testing salt bars i got an extra fine Himalayan salt to use. They were beautiful and pink but they still were a little rough so it's good to test them out first before giving any away. I hope they are nice and soft cause they are gorgeous!

brandNew as far as my understanding of dead sea salt goes it's so much more loaded with other minerals than other salts and it is for that reason people have problems using it in salt bars...I tried a mineral rich salt used as a mineral supplement for livestock(I got 20 pounds for free)in a salt bar batch and there was a pool of liquid on top of the bars for , if memory serves me correctly weeks afterwards..this all got eventually absorbed back into the bars but the minerals colored the soap in an unattractive fashion....I hear dead sea salt causes similar issues...

Ct anton...i had never heard of the company so I had to look them up.....gosh, have any of you tried the hawaiian red or black salts?!? They are lovely! Really curious how they behave in soap! I read someone was very disappointed in the dead sea salt.
I've used a lot of black salt in cooking. It's not black all the way through, but coated with charcoal. I just tested some and if you rinse it off, you get black water and white/clear crystals. I'm guessing here, but I'd suspect you'll get gray soap with clear crystals.

They are also, according to the label, only 84% NaCl, so they might have some of the same issues people report with the Dead Sea salt if a significant portion of that remaining 16% is Magnesium Chloride.

CTAnton and BrewerGeorge thanks for the info!! I think it'll be pale pink colourants /clay and regular salt!

They look lovely! That's a beautiful colour

Although in regard to your planned soap: I thought olive oil wouldn't work at all with any significant amount of salt in the bar?

I love those pink bars! Let us know how that size salt works for you as far as scrubbiness.

You mentioned subbing olive oil for coconut next I think? Just remember that salt kills lather, and that the only reason salt bars can lather is the high coconut oil. Coconut oil and I think Babassu are the only two oils that can lather in salt water. From what I've read, salt bars made without coconut lather "like a piece of plastic". Of course you're welcome to experiment, or try less coconut, that's half the fun.

Back