Salt Bar Lather - What is it?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewerGeorge

Reaction score
Not sure if this should be in the Beginner's forum, or tacked onto one of the big salt bar threads, but anyway...

What is the lather from salt bars supposed to be like? I tried my five week old salt bars for the first time last night and the lather is weird. It's...chunky is the only word I can think of to describe it. (These are 100% CO with 20% SF and 50% salt by weight.) It reminds me of little globs of gelatin or something?

Is this what I should expect with salt bars, or do they just need to cure longer? What's the end goal?

My Salt bars have a thick rich creamy lather. However, I don't usually use my bars until they ar 3-4 months old or more. For some reason I find that well cured salt bars are the best.

They likely just need a longer cure. I don't use 100% CO too often. Generally 80% is my max and then the rest with Avocado and Castor (5%).

My Salt bars have a thick rich creamy lather. However, I don't usually use my bars until they ar 3-4 months old or more. For some reason I find that well cured salt bars are the best.

They likely just need a longer cure. I don't use 100% CO too often. Generally 80% is my max and then the rest with Avocado and Castor (5%).

Oh, yeah, I forgot. I used your recipe as the basis for mine. So it's 80% CO, 15% OO, 5% Castor.

I know the little globs you speak of. Try taking that weird lather and add more water, it should fluff up. A 5 week old salt bar is pretty sad compared to a properly aged bar, wait another three months then try it again.

I just used my last bar from a batch made in early May. What a difference between a new 8 week old soap and a 30 week old bar. The lather got richer and richer over time, but I could still work up some awesome bubbles with a poof.

Should have made some more so I would have some ready to go. Now it's going to be spring before I have any ready!

Back